Sandy Hook Memorial

The Weigh-In: Beyond Grief at Sandy Hook

After the killing of so many children and their teachers, our human journey is at a crossroads where our intentions – beautiful and transcendent, compassionate and caring, loving and forgiving, intelligent and thoughtful – continue to retreat in confusion and horror from the enormous evil we can and will inflict upon one another. For Bruce Kramer, Sandy Hook is personal.
NCAA Football Championship

Long Drives Frustrate Tommie Defense

The St. Thomas defense slowed a potent Mount Union attack, but in the end the Purple Raiders made enough plays to post a 28-10 victory Friday night and claim the program’s 11th Division III national championship.
Kristine Wammer

Kristine Wammer and Her Students Take on a Major Source of Environmental Pollutants

Chemistry professor Kristine Wammer studies the effects of pharmaceuticals in the environment. "I am a 'farm kid.' I grew up on a corn and soybean farm in southern Minnesota that truly was the middle of nowhere, with the nearest town (Butternut) having a population that hovered around a dozen. Having no kids nearby meant that my brother Todd and I had to come up with creative – if slightly dangerous – ways to entertain ourselves."
article placeholder

Managing an Ethics Crisis

Any organization can find itself confronting a sudden ethical crisis.The key is being prepared. It isn’t whether, but when, an organization will experience a crisis.
Christmas Tree Construction

Depth of Field: O Christmas Tree

I'm going to make this simple, folks. When someone tells you they're constructing a 34-foot Christmas tree over three to five days, you shoot a time lapse of it. Read on to find out how we did it.
Football vs Coe

Glenn Caruso Voted One of Five Division III Coach of the Year Award Finalists for 2012

In his five years as coach, Caruso has led St. Thomas to a 56-7 record with four consecutive NCAA playoff quarterfinal and three consecutive 10-0 regular seasons. The Tommies are host to UW-Oshkosh in an NCAA semifinal contest at 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 8. The Tommies also advanced to the semifinals in 2011 before losing to eventual national champion UW-Whitewater.
article placeholder

Professional Notes for Dec. 20, 2012

This week's notes feature faculty David Kelly, Robert Kennedy, Michael Naughton, Nekima Levy-Pounds, Artika Tyner and Scott Wright; and students Beatriz Espinoza, Margaret Higgins, Dominika Malisz and Elysia Newton.