article placeholder

Please Remember Edward R. Brandt in Your Prayers

Among his many achievements, he served as a Foreign Service officer for the U.S. Information Agency for 10 years, a state representative for four years, and taught political science at St. Thomas in the 1970s. After retiring he co-founded the Germanic Genealogy Society and the multinational Federation of East European Family History Societies.
Solar Panels

A Passion for Alternative Energy That Crosses Borders

There is a great need for social entrepreneurship with the goal of developing economical and robust systems that provide fresh water and electricity. The engineering challenges are significant but surmountable. It simply takes will and funding.
NCAA FB Semi Final

Glenn Caruso ‘Three-Peats’ as Liberty Mutual National Coach of the Year

St. Thomas head football coach Glenn Caruso was introduced in Miami on Jan. 7 as the first three-time recipient in the seven-year history of the elite national Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year program. He also was named Division III National Coach of the Year by the American Football Coaches’ Association (AFCA) on Jan. 8. The elite award is voted on by fellow Division III coaches.
Sandy Hook Memorial

The Weigh-In: Beyond Grief at Sandy Hook

After the killing of so many children and their teachers, our human journey is at a crossroads where our intentions – beautiful and transcendent, compassionate and caring, loving and forgiving, intelligent and thoughtful – continue to retreat in confusion and horror from the enormous evil we can and will inflict upon one another. For Bruce Kramer, Sandy Hook is personal.
NCAA Football Championship

Long Drives Frustrate Tommie Defense

The St. Thomas defense slowed a potent Mount Union attack, but in the end the Purple Raiders made enough plays to post a 28-10 victory Friday night and claim the program’s 11th Division III national championship.
Kristine Wammer

Kristine Wammer and Her Students Take on a Major Source of Environmental Pollutants

Chemistry professor Kristine Wammer studies the effects of pharmaceuticals in the environment. "I am a 'farm kid.' I grew up on a corn and soybean farm in southern Minnesota that truly was the middle of nowhere, with the nearest town (Butternut) having a population that hovered around a dozen. Having no kids nearby meant that my brother Todd and I had to come up with creative – if slightly dangerous – ways to entertain ourselves."
article placeholder

Managing an Ethics Crisis

Any organization can find itself confronting a sudden ethical crisis.The key is being prepared. It isn’t whether, but when, an organization will experience a crisis.
Christmas Tree Construction

Depth of Field: O Christmas Tree

I'm going to make this simple, folks. When someone tells you they're constructing a 34-foot Christmas tree over three to five days, you shoot a time lapse of it. Read on to find out how we did it.