This edition of Professional Notes features faculty William Cavert, Justin Donato, Eric Fort, Marites A. Guino-o, Hans Gustafson, J. Thomas Ippoliti, Mike Naughton, Shirley Nieto-Flores, Bill Ojala, Lisa Prevette, Buffy Smith, Lisa Waldner, Kristine Wammer, Meg Wilkes Karraker and Victoria Young; staff Artika Tyner; students from St. Thomas' Chemistry and Music departments; and alumnus Mathew Vicknair '13.
The University of St. Thomas chapters of the National German Honor Society and the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society will induct students 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 10, in the Leather Room in O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library.
After her undergraduate career, Kelly Larmon returned to St. Thomas to earn an M.B.A. in 2003, and continued on to Hamline University School of Law, earning her J.D. She believes in the value of a liberal arts education, getting involved and seizing opportunities.
This week's notes feature faculty, an alumna and a student from the departments of chemistry, history, mathematics, modern and classical languages, and sociology and criminal justice, and the Saint Paul Seminary School of Divinity.
Nancy Zingale, a retired St. Thomas political science professor, has been involved in educational and cultural exchanges between St. Thomas and Cuba since 1999. She was in Havana when President Barack Obama announced a significant change to U.S.-Cuban relations last December.
In late November, 14 students from Dr. Lorina Quartarone’s 211 (Intermediate) and 298 (Medieval) Latin classes participated in a national exam sponsored by the Classical Association of the Middle West and South.
The University of St. Thomas' German program and German Club will help mark the 25th anniversary of the Berlin Wall falling with “Fall of the Berlin Wall Campus Weeks,” a celebration of German and global culture and history.
The Fulbright Program is a highly competitive, merit-based grant for international educational exchange for students, scholars, teachers, professionals, scientists and artists, founded by U.S. Sen. J. William Fulbright in 1946.