• Do You Want Extra Time Off at Christmas?

Snow in Light

One part of my job that I will dearly miss next year when I am no longer president of St. Thomas is the opportunity to play Santa Claus long before Christmas.

My gift, made today for the last time, is to grant employees of the university extra time off again this Christmas. It’s always fun to share that kind of news.

Last year I waited until right before Thanksgiving to make the announcement. Not this year. I’m making the announcement before Halloween so you have more time to make holidays plans, and I’m offering three extra days off in December – a bonus over last year’s two.

Here is how the time off will work:

Christmas falls on a Tuesday this year, meaning that our paid holidays are Monday (Christmas Eve) and Tuesday, followed by two more paid holidays on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day (also Monday and Tuesday). We will provide three additional paid holidays on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, Dec. 26-28.

Add them all up and we will be off for 11 days in a row – Saturday, Dec. 22 through Tuesday, Jan. 1 – before returning to work on Wednesday, Jan. 2.

Some employees, including certain Public Safety officers, Physical Plant workers, IRT server administrators, Food Service workers, Development staff members and athletic coaches, may need to work during Christmas week because their services are necessary on campus. If you are uncertain whether your services are required during this period, please contact your supervisor.

Employees who are not required to work from Dec. 22 through Jan. 1 will be paid for that time period in accordance with our holiday pay policy. Employees who are required to work during the Christmas holidays will be compensated as follows:

• Employees who are represented by a union will be paid according to the terms of their collective bargaining agreement.
    • Non-exempt (hourly) employees who are not represented by a union will receive pay for hours actually worked on the holiday in addition to their regular pay for all scheduled work hours that day.
    • Exempt (salaried) employees will receive a floating holiday for each holiday worked as arranged with their manager. The floating holidays must be used by the end of the fiscal year (June 30).

Department heads must notify Human Resources by Dec. 10 if they have employees who must work during the Christmas holidays.

During the long holiday break, we will turn down the thermostats in most of our buildings to conserve energy and save a few dollars. Prepare to bundle up if you have to work during Christmas week!

• Liz Zupfer

Wow! Fr. Dease, thanks so much! This is a huge gift, and greatly appreciated!

29 Oct 2012 08:10 am
    • Jenn Haas

Agreed! Thank you so much. I love looking forward to 11 days at home with my family.

29 Oct 2012 08:10 am
    • Tim Fischer

What a great way to start the week… Thank you Father!! This extra time off to spend with family and friends is such a wonderful gift. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!!

29 Oct 2012 08:10 am
    • Liz Johnson

Fantastic – the gift of time is so wonderful and then to be paid for it- fantastic!

29 Oct 2012 08:10 am
    • Tina Wiggins

Fr. Dease, thank you for the wonderful Christmas gift! My children will be absolutely thrilled!

29 Oct 2012 08:10 am
    • Jason

Thank you Fr. Dease! A very splendid Christmas gift!

29 Oct 2012 09:10 am
    • Lynda McDonnell

What a grand gift. After all the hubbub in the preparations for Christmas, it is an incredible gift to have this extra time for family, friends, sorting out the year that’s ending, planning for the one ahead. Many, many thanks.

29 Oct 2012 09:10 am
    • Julie Kimlinger

I appreciate this gift so very much – thank you Fr. Dease!

29 Oct 2012 09:10 am
    • Karen Batdorf

Fr. Dease, this gift of time to spend in quiet or with family is the best gift you can give. Thank you so much!

29 Oct 2012 09:10 am
    • Barbara Gorski

Father Dease -

Thank you so much for this generous gift of time. And even more importantly, thank you for all you do for St. Thomas. I am going to miss you and your leadership!

Be Well!
      Barbara

29 Oct 2012 09:10 am
    • Joann Statsman

Thank you Fr. Dease! This is truly the most wonderful gift at this special time of year. Your thoughtfulness is very much appreciated.

29 Oct 2012 09:10 am
    • Rosemary Barreto

That is AWESOME! Thank you so much for your generosity over the years, Father Dease. It literally brings tears to my eyes.

29 Oct 2012 09:10 am
    • Ea McMillan Porter

Thank you so much, Father Dease. Those of us, in particular, who live away from the majority of our relatives, certainly appreciate the opportunity to have time for travel. Thank you!

29 Oct 2012 10:10 am
    • Rachel Wobschall

Thank you!

29 Oct 2012 10:10 am
    • Cindy Sundberg

You have been so generous in providing this Holiday time to us over the years. I thank you and my family thanks you. It means so much to us to have the time together. Saying thank you seems so paltry compared to the gift of this time.
      Nevertheless, Thank You!

29 Oct 2012 10:10 am
    • Linda Halverson

Thank you once again, Fr. Dease, for this generous gift of time with our families. It is a blessing to be a member of this community.

29 Oct 2012 10:10 am
    • Jan Becker

Father Dease,

What a wonderful early Christmas gift. Thank you so much for your generosity. Time to spend with my family is the most precious gift anyone could give me.
      Also, Thank you for your leadership and service you have given the St Thomas community!

29 Oct 2012 11:10 am
    • Kate Norlander

Thank you so much, Father Dease!

29 Oct 2012 01:10 pm
    • Dede

Thank you so much Father! I agree with previous posts, the gift of time is truly the best gift of all. It is wholeheartedly appreciated. I wish you an early Merry Christmas too.

29 Oct 2012 02:10 pm
    • Amy

THANK YOU!! What a wonderful present! I <3 UST! :)

29 Oct 2012 04:10 pm
    • Nathan Wunrow

Thank you Fr. Dease! You deserve an extra big crown in Heaven!

30 Oct 2012 09:10 am
    • Samba Dieng

Father Dease is absolutely peerless! The best President EVER! I hate thinking about his retirement. THANK YOU for this wonderful gift! It looks like I can go back to Africa and see my mother again this year, thanks to you.

30 Oct 2012 10:10 am
    • Janis Aamodt

Fr. Dease, Thank you so much for this time off during the holidays. May you have a blessed Christmas as well.

30 Oct 2012 02:10 pm
    • Carole Koch

Father Dease,
      I wish there was a way to return a gift in kind to you! The gift of time is precious, cannot be bought or wrapped. Thank you for your kindness each year. You will be remembered as we rest, play, and enjoy these extra days.

30 Oct 2012 03:10 pm
    • Tina Hansen

Fr. Dease, I thank you so much for your generous gift of time during Christmas. You have been so kind to extend this wonderful opportunity to us each year for the past several years! It is a special treat to be off work at the same time as my son is off from school – we get lots of extra quality time together – and that gift is the best gift of all.

05 Nov 2012 10:11 am