Enter first ‘Diversi-Tee/Communi-Tee’ shirt-design contest by noon Sept. 29
The Office of Institutional Diversity and STAR (St. Thomas Activities and Recreation) will accept submissions from UST students through noon Friday, Sept. 29, for their first “Diversi-Tee/Communi-Tee” shirt-design contest.
The winning design will be printed in limited quantity and made available to the university community for purchase early next semester. The winning design will be chosen by a panel of judges. The judges’ decision will be final. The winning design will be announced during “ CommUNITY Week” (Oct. 1-6) at the Global Fashion Show.
Contest rules and guidelines
- All entries must be submitted electronically as single entries (i.e., an individual person or a single club/organization) from eligible UST students/clubs to the Office of Institutional Diversity by noon Friday, Sept. 29. Send submissions to me at LTPOTTER@stthomas.edu.
- Submit your design as an Illustrator or PDF file with an 11×17 color printout.
- The words “ St. Thomas,” “Diversity” and “Community” must appear somewhere on the shirt, but that does not have to be the primary or only image or message.
- The design must, in some way, reflect the CommUNITY Week theme, “Respecting, Affirming, and Valuing the Greater Mosaic.”
- The only printing method used will be silkscreen.
- Maximum number of colors: three, not counting color of the shirt.
- Two-sided printing designs are okay. However, we can’t print under the sleeves or near the collar. Shirt designs violating this may be excluded.
- Consider the shirt color in your design. Shirt colors may be changed at the discretion of the contest chairperson.
- Consider that people may actually want to purchase and wear these.
- Suggestive, hateful or illicit language or imagery will be rejected.
- Originality (Is this design interesting? Does the design relate to theme?)
- Appropriateness (Would anybody actually think of wearing it, let alone maybe buy it?)
- Execution (Is the design professional quality? Is the design executed in the spirit of the rules and guidelines?)
Legal matters and usage
- The winner grants the Office of Institutional Diversity permission to use the artwork/design for promotional use, as we see fit, forever, and for unlimited applications. Use of the design will be properly credited to the designer when possible. The winner retains the copyright and we agree not to sell or transfer any such usage rights. (In other words, we don’t require exclusive rights, just unlimited usage for university promotional purposes.
- Your finished designs will be appropriately credited with your name on the shirt unless you wish to remain anonymous.
- You pledge that your work is of your own making and further, the fonts or other rights-protected imagery used in your design are legitimately licensed for your use.