Music Department welcomes public to May concerts, recitals and convocation lecture
The University of St. Thomas Music Department welcomes the public to the following free concerts and recitals in May. All will be held on the university’s St. Paul campus unless indicated otherwise.
(Note: Because recitals often are rescheduled close to performance dates, please call (651) 962-5850 to verify performances and check for schedule or location changes.)
- 3 p.m. Sunday, May 1, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Dr. Marianne Fleming Bryan will present a faculty piano recital.
- 8 p.m. Monday, May 2, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: The university’s Jazz Singers, Small Jazz Combo and Percussion Ensemble present a concert directed by Denis Allaire (Jazz Singers), Joan Griffith (Small Jazz Combo) and Will Kemperman (Percussion Ensemble).
- Noon-1 p.m. Tuesday, May 3, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Guy Woolfenden, conductor of the Birmingham (England) Conservatoire Wind Orchestra, honorary associate artist of the Royal Shakespeare Company and honorary member of the London College of Music, will give a special convocation lecture, "The Isle is Full of Noises," a talk about composing music for Shakespeare’s "The Tempest," illustrated with songs by Michael Tippett, Igor Stravinsky, Ralph Vaughan Williams, and Woolfenden himself.
- 8 p.m. Wednesday, May 4, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Student Kristi Ahlberg gives a cello recital.
- 8 p.m. Thursday, May 5, at Minnehaha Academy’s Fine Arts Center, 3100 W. River Parkway, Minneapolis: Dr. Angela Broeker directs UST’s 90-member Concert Choir and 30 choir alumni, a 40-piece orchestra of professional musicians and professional soloists Michael Schmidt and Nora Frances in a performance of Brahms’ “Requiem.” A shuttle bus is available from St. Thomas’ St. Paul campus for UST students, faculty or staff needing transportation. To reserve a space, call (651) 962-5853.
- 8 p.m. Friday, May 6, in O’Shaughnessy Auditorium at the College of St. Catherine, 2004 Randolph Ave., St. Paul: Conductor and composer Guy Woolfenden, who was for 37 years had of music for the Royal Shakespeare Company, is a guest conductor at a UST Bands concert. He’ll also be a guest conductor at a Grand Symphonic Winds concert at 7 p.m. Saturday, May 7, at Trinity Lutheran Church of Minnehaha Falls, 5212 41st Ave. S., Minneapolis.
- 2 p.m. Sunday, May 8, in the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas: The UST Women’s Chorus, directed by Dr. Carroll Gonzo, gives a concert.
- 8 p.m. Monday, May 9, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Student recital to be announced.
- 8 p.m. Tuesday, May 10, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: The university’s Instrumental Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jeff Rinear, gives a concert.
- 8 p.m. Wednesday, May 11, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Joan Griffith directs the UST Guitar Ensemble in a concert.
- 2 p.m. Sunday, May 15, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Student Heidi Schlueter gives a flute recital.
- 5 p.m. Sunday, May 15, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Students Julie Williams and Samuel Johnson, voice, give a recital.
- 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 17, in Brady Educational Center auditorium: Student Andrea Halverson gives a voice recital.
- 3 p.m. Sunday, May 22, in the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas: The St. Thomas Liturgical Choir, conducted by Ann Schrooten, gives a concert.