With the start of the new school year, the Public Safety Department would like to remind the campus community of many important and helpful hints. You will note that the following “helpful hints” relate to your activities in and around the neighborhood.
- The university asks that you respect our neighbors, their property and their rights. As you walk through the neighborhoods, please keep your voices down and discard your items in an appropriate garbage container.
- Drive with care on and around the campus. Slow down and be mindful of the traffic laws.
- Do not jaywalk and be mindful of pedestrian’s traffic. Cross at the lights and crosswalks.
- Protect your personal property by not leaving them in plain view within your vehicle. This includes CDs, cell phones, digital cameras, purses, and other electronic equipment. Always put your name on your property with permanent marker. Make sure you label all your CDs.
- Always lock vehicle doors and roll up windows.
- Park your vehicle in well-lit areas.
- Call Public Safety for an escort to your destination. Don’t walk alone at night. On the St. Paul campus, call (651) 962-5100. On the Minneapolis campus, call (651) 962-4100. For emergencies, call (651) 962-5555.
- Plan ahead and make sure you let your roommates know your destination and whom you will be with.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and pay attention to unusual individuals and/or activities.
- Report any suspicious activity to Public Safety.
The Department of Public Safety and Parking Services has received a number of complaints from the campus community and our neighbors regarding the unsafe driving habits that have been witnessed lately. We all recognize the number of pedestrian living on and around our campus, so please slow down, use caution and respect your fellow community members. We also ask that you be mindful of the young children playing and riding their bikes on and around the campus. Be safe, use caution and obey the laws.
Public Safety urges you to be proactive and alert. You can help prevent crime!
If you have information regarding crimes on campus you are urged to contact Public Safety at (651) 962-5100 and the St. Paul police (651) 291-1111.