Piano Pedagogy Concentration
The Master of Arts degree with a concentration in piano pedagogy features a broad range of theoretical courses balanced by requirements that apply to piano teachers' work with students of all ages and abilities. The program places emphasis on practical aspects of teaching elementary, intermediate and advanced students to develop their musicianship and technical skills.
In this program, students will
- Sharpen and improve personal competence in performance on the piano
- Learn the principles of a healthy and effective technique and how to develop it in students
- Broaden understanding of music history, theory, and historic piano performance practices
- Develop a good working knowledge of literature for the piano, as well as specific piano teaching methods, sources, and editions available
- Gain insights into individual learning styles and performance psychology
- Gain pedagogical insights into the pedagogy of sight-reading, improvisation, keyboard theory, practicing, and expressive interpretation
- Discover new applications for existing expertise
- Expand organizational skills in areas of studio policy, goal-setting, and curriculum development
- Discover the commonality of the goals and techniques shared by all music educators
Required music education core courses (17 credits)
GMUS 600 Introduction to Scholarship & Research Methods in Music, 3 cr.
GMUS 601 Teaching and learning, 3 cr.
GMUS 608 Foundations of Music Education, 3 cr.
GMUS 611 Perspectives in Music Theory, 3 cr.
GMUS 651 Dalcroze Musicianship, 3 cr.
GMUS 750 Musicianship & Ensemble I, 1 cr.
GMUS 890 M.A. Final Project, 1 cr.
Required piano pedagogy concentration courses (11 credits)
GMUS 571 Performance Studies - Piano (three semesters of 50-minute lessons), 3 cr.
GMUS 771 Elementary Piano Materials & Teaching Techniques, 3 cr.
GMUS 772 Intermediate Piano Materials & Teaching Techniques, 3 cr.
GMUS 800 Supervised Teaching, 2 cr.
Piano elective courses (minimum of 5 credits)
GMUS 536 Smithsonian Folkways Certification in World Music Pedagogy, 3 cr.
GMUS 537 Latin American Music, 1 cr.
GMUS 544-xx Topics in Music Education, credits vary (advisor approval required)
GMUS 571 Advanced Performance Studies - Piano, 1 cr.
GMUS 615 Performance Practices, 3 cr.
GMUS 619 Keyboard Literature, 3 cr.
GMUS 773 Advanced Piano Pedagogy, 3 cr.
GMUS 800 Supervised Teaching (additional semester), 1 cr.
Other courses considered for elective credit (advisor approval required)
Music Diagnostic Exams
Oral Comprehensive Exam