Basic Math Skills Courses
If you are an incoming first-year or transfer student and do not have adequate placement for the mathematics course required by your desired program of study, it may be a good idea for you to take MATH 005 Basic Math Skills and/or MATH 006 Basic Math Skills II the summer or J-Term before you begin at UST. STEM majors (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) are especially encouraged to take the remedial course(s) in the summer if necessary; it is less crucial for business, humanities, and education majors.
These courses are non-credit, but will appear on your UST transcript.
Your math placement score along with your required Mathematics course will determine if you take MATH 005, MATH 006 or both. For further information, please see the attached flowchart. If you wish take one or both of these courses, please be advised of the following:
1. Academic Counseling & Support can help you enroll. The Academic Counseling & Support phone number is (651)-962-6300, or email Susan Anderson at email@example.com.
2. The cost of MATH 005 and MATH 006 is $280 per course during academic year 2014-2015. You will be directly billed if you enroll for one or both courses ($280 for one course, $560 for both MATH 005-006). When the bill is ready, you will receive an e-mail notification (via you UST e-mail account) about payment procedures and deadlines.
3. The textbook for summer 2014 MATH 005 and MATH 006 will be Algebra for College Students, 9th Edition, by Kaufman and Schwitters. This text can be purchased at the UST bookstore. It is not required to purchase a hard copy of the textbook, but purchase of the eBook with access to WebAssign (an online homework system) is required. You will receive more information on the first day of classes from your instructor about purchasing and using WebAssign.
4. During Summer 2014 MATH 005 runs from July 23 until August 6, Monday through Thursday from 1 PM to 4 PM, in OWS 250. MATH 006 runs from August 7 until August 21, Monday through Thursday from 1 PM in to 4 PM, in OWS 250. Owens Science Center (OWS) is on the Southwest corner of Summit and Cretin Avenues.
5. Parking options include: University of St. Thomas Red and Yellow lots, which do not require parking permits during the summer. There is an entrance on Summit Avenue west of Cretin. Street parking is available on the south side of Summit Avenue west of Cretin and on the north side of Goodrich Avenue west of Cretin. Pay parking is also available in the Anderson parking ramp; the entrance is at the intersection of Cretin and Grand Avenues. First visit to campus? Click here for a campus map.
Questions, please contact the University of St. Thomas Department of Mathematics [firstname.lastname@example.org] 651-962-5520