Math Placement Exam Information
Spring 2015 Math Placement Exam Information
Please note: the test will not be offered Thursday, April 2 or Friday, April 3, as the University is on break during those days.
Beginning on Friday, January 30th, the test will begin being offered according to the spring semester schedule, which will be Thursdays at noon and Fridays at 3 PM in OSS 225. No appointment is necessary, but make sure that arrive on time. The exam usually takes 30 minutes to an hour, but can take up to 1.5 hours or occasionally longer. Bring a pencil and scratch paper for scratch work. There is no need to bring a calculator, as the calculator that you can use will be provided.
Students are allowed to take the test once each semester, with summer counting as part of the fall semester and J-term counting as part of spring semester.
Not all students need to take a placement exam. You only need to take the exam if any of the following apply to you (Note: these cutoffs were updated in March of 2014. Students enrolled at that time who had already sent their test scores to UST will be placed under the old criteria; for more information about this, email email@example.com):
- your ACT Math score was less than 28 and you want to take MATH 113, Calculus I.
- your ACT Math score was less than 25 and you want to take MATH 111, Business Calculus.
- your ACT Math score was less than 23 and you want to take MATH 108, Calculus with Review I.
- your ACT Math score was less than 20 and you want to take MATH 101, Finite Mathematics, or MATH 100, Mathematical Sampler.
- You did not send your ACT scores to St. Thomas within 2 years of taking the test.
Results from the exam are available within 2 business days of taking the exam.
For information on preparing for a Placement Exam, click the tab for review materials on the left.
Contact MaRC Director John Nelson with any questions:
Office: OSS 233