2009 - 2010
This grant helped sponsor the 4th Annual Mental Health Conference, "Mental Health: Improving Access for Underserved/Underrepresented Populations," which provided a forum of learning and communication for professionals in health care, education, law, psychology, social work, law enforcement, public policy, community leaders and the public. The focus was the development of strategies and services which improve mental care access for the underserved and underrepresented.
Specifically, the conference focused on the following issues:
- Connecting with communities of color
- Understanding and responding to mental health challenges for those in crisis
- Law enforcement strategies and models
- Providing those in poverty and those who are underserved with mental health care
The objectives of the project included:
- Ascertaining if University of St. Thomas student of color who receive counseling are retained and graduated at a greater rate than those students of color who do not receive counseling.
- If students of color who do receive counseling are retained at a higher rate, design a marketing campaign to encourage students of color to seek out counseling when appropriate.