Conrad Pickel Stained Glass Collection
The stained glass medallions adorning the windows of the O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library are some of the most distinctive and well known features of the building. They were designed and executed by two artists from the Conrad Pickel Studio of Waukesha, Wisconsin in 1958-59 and remain a central part of the building's history.
- Visit the Main Collection website for images of individual medallions and a brief description each one; search medallion series below.
- See the Guided Tour document for descriptions of the windows' subjects and symbology, along with their location in the library.
The windows were designed with various themes in mind, and can be viewed in different series entitled: Great Authors, Great Literary Characters, Minnesota Catholic Pioneers, Doctors and Defenders of the Church, Female Saints, Religious Orders, Sons of St. Thomas, Suffragan Bishops, Celtic Collection, Branches of Learning, Christian symbols.
Use the drop down menu to search medallions by series:
The windows can be viewed in many locations on 4 floors of the library. The Guided Tour document linked above gives the location of series and individual windows along with brief descriptions of the content.
Use the drop down menu to search medallions by location:
For more information on the Conrad Pickel Studio please visit their website.