Facebook linkTwitter linkYouTube linkInstagram link
UST Libraries banner image

Buildings of the University of St. Thomas

(includes Saint Paul, Minneapolis, Owatonna, and Rome campuses)

Administration Building (New)
   see Aquinas Hall

Administration Building (Old)
1876 Constructed as the Catholic Industrial School
1886 Remodeled and expanded for use of the St. Thomas Seminary (later the College of St. Thomas)
1930 Razed

Air Force Building
1946? Constructed
1957 Razed

Albertus Magnus Hall
  see John Roach Center for the Liberal Arts


Alumni House
1965 Acquired by the College

Alumni & Constituent Relations
1905 Constructed for use as the College Infirmary. Herman Kretz, architect?
1967 The Catholic Digest offices moved in when the infirmary is moved to Brady Hall.
2005 - renamed Alumni and Constituent Relations

Anderson Athletic and Recreation Complex
2010 – 2012 Constructed by Opus Corporation.
2012 Jan 17 Officially opened
2012 May 10 Dedication. Named for Lee and Penny Anderson.

Anderson Parking Facilty
February 2009 Opened for use.  Constructed by Opus Corporation. Named for Lee and Penny Anderson.

Anderson Student Center
February 2009 Opened for use.  Constructed by Opus Corporation. Named for Lee and Penny Anderson.

Aquinas Hall
1932 Constructed as the Liberal Arts Building. McGinnnis & Walsh of Boston, architects
ca. 1959 Renamed Aquinas Hall
1964 Remodeled

Archbishop Ireland Memorial Library
1949/1950 Constructed

Armory-Field House
      see also Foley Theater
1914 Constructed by a Mr. Butler as two-part building: an armory and a clubhouse. The clubhouse section contained meeting rooms on the first floor for use by student clubs; the second floor contained an auditorium. The basement contained a shooting gallery for indoor target practice. When constructed, the armory was the second largest hall in the Twin Cities.
1958 Clubhouse section remodeled to provide theater space.
1980 The Armory section razed.

Arts Building
     see Aquinas Hall


Barracks
1946 Fall Constructed
1956 C Barracks Razed
1959 Summer A & B Barracks Razed

Bernardi Campus Building
1999 November - property purchased in Rome, Italy to house study abroad students
2000 October 6 - dedicated as the Bernardi Campus of the University of St. Thomas in Rome.  Named in honor of the family of Antonio and Maria Bernardi.

Binz Refectory
1978 Constructed on the St. Paul Seminary campus

Brady Educational Center
1968 Constructed as a classroom building and auditorium for the St. Paul Seminary

Brady Hall
1967 Constructed as a Residence Hall. Designed by Ellerbe Architects, Inc. Named for Archbishop William O. Brady. Stands on the site of the St. Thomas Military Academy Building.
1967 Oct 22 Dedicated

Building X
1946? Constructed
1957 Razed

Byrne Retired Priests Residence (Old)
1978 Constructed
1995 Razed to make room for Frey Science and Engineering Center

Byrne Retired Priests Residence (New)
1995 Constructed as a 29-unit apartment building for retired priests. Opus Architects and Engineers designed the building

Cafeteria
1946? Constructed
1957 Razed

Catholic Digest Building
     see Alumni and Consituent Relations

Catholic Industrial School Building
     see Administration Building (Old)


Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas (New)
1917 Constructed. E. L. Masqueray, Architect
1919 Dedicated
1944 Decoration completed (including painting and stained glass work)
1978 Renovated
2008-2009 Renovated

Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas (Old)
1891 Constructed
1917 Razed

Child Development Center
2004-2005 Constructed
Sept 15, 2004 - Groundbreaking
April 2005 - Child Development Center staff move into the building

Chiuminatto Hall
     see Sitzmann Hall


Christ Child Hall
1955 Constructed as the Christ Child School for Exceptional Children. Gift of I.A. O'Shaughnessey. Ellerbe and Co. Architects
1976 When the school closed, the property reverted to the Archdiocese who in turn gave it to the College of St. Thomas.
2005 - Razed

Classroom Building (Old)
      see St. Thomas Military Academy Building


Classroom Building (St. Paul Seminary)
1894(?) -- Constructed on St. Paul Seminary Grounds. In addition to classrooms, contained a large auditorium (Aula Maxima). Designed by Cass Gilbert.
1972 -- Razed.

Convent
1951 Constructed as a memorial to the John J. Bell Family. The building was used as convent and chapel for the Sisters of St. Joseph who ran the Seminary infirmary and dining hall.
1995 Razed to make room for the Frey Science and Engineering Building.

Coughlan Field House 
      see Shoenecker Arena - Coughlan Fieldhouse

Cretin Hall
1894 Constructed as the south student residence for the Seminary. Designed by Cass Gilbert.
1987/1989 Aquired by UST. Renovated for use as a residence hall for undergraduate students.

Dormitory Building
      see Science Building


Dowling Hall
1959 Constructed.  Harold Spitznagel and Associates, architects

Faculty Residence
1974 Constructed. Gerald A. Rauenhorst, Architect

Fine Arts Building
      see Sitzmann Hall

Flynn Hall
2004/05 - Constructed as a residence hall by Opus Corporation.  Designed by Opus Architects & Engineers with assistance from Ellness, Swenson and Graham Architects.
2005 Sept 6 - Dedicated
2009 May 7 - Renamed in honor of Archbishop Harry Flynn

Foley Theater
     see also Armory-Field House
1914 Built as the clubhouse portion of the Armory-Field House
1958 Remodeled into a 280 seat theater
2009 Razed

Frey Science and Engineering Center
1995/1997 Constructed.  Designed by Holabird & Root (Chicago, IL).  Composed of Owens Science Hall and O'Shaughnessy Science Hall.
1997 Sept 18 Dedicated

Gainey Conference Center
1953 - 1957 French-Norman style residence constructed on farm outside of Owatonna,MN.  Designed by Daniel C. Gainey and Edwin Lundie.
1979 - property bequeathed to the university upon the death of Daniel C. Gainey.
1981 - conference center constructed adjacent to the original Gainey home.
2014 - Property sold

Gleason House
1870 (?) Constructed
1900 Occupied until this year by the Gleason family who "farmed" the campus for the college. Used after that as a home for the Sisters of St. Joseph who ran the college infirmary and as a storehouse.
1950 Razed

Grace Hall
1913 Constructed as residence for St. Paul Seminary students. Designed by Emmanuel Masqueray.
1987/1989 -- Acquired by the University of St. Thomas and renovated for use as an undergraduate residence hall

Grand Apartments
1981 Acquired

Grotto
1917 - Saint Paul Seminary students begin construction of a grotto in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary in a ravine near the St. Paul Seminary Administration Building.  The grotto included stone crosses to mark the Stations of the Cross.
1930 May 25 -  a statue of Mary was placed and dedicated in the grotto
1993 - 1994 - the grotto was renovated using a design by Scott Mindas of Barton-Aschman Associates, Inc.  Artwork for the prayer stations was designed by Peter Lupori.
1993 September 13 - groundbreaking for the renovation
1994 May 1 - grotto is rededicated

Gymnasium Building
    See Armory-Field House

Gymnasium/Heating Plant (St. Paul Seminary)
     see Service Center


Heating Plant
      see Physical Plant Building

Herrick Hall
    see Murray-Herrick Hall


Industrial School Building
    see Administration Building (Old)


Infirmary
    see Alumni and Constituent Relations

International House
1976 -- Acquired

Ireland Hall
1912 Constructed as a residence hall. E.L. Masqueray, architect. Built by Mr. Brady.
1924 Named after Archbishop John Ireland
1945 Remodeled. Ellerbe and Co, architects

Irish American Cultural Institute
1947 -- Constructed
1995 Nov -- Razed

John Bell Building
    See Convent

John Paul II Hall
1978 Constructed as a residence hall. McGuire, Corteau and Lucke, architects
1979 Named in honor of Pope John Paul II

John Roach Center for the Liberal Arts
1946/1948  Constructed as science classroom building. Ellerbe Brothers, architects. McGough Construction Co., builders.
1948 Dedicated as Albertus Magnus Hall.  Named for St. Albert the Great, scientist, and St. Thomas Aquinas' teacher.
1963 Greenhouse addition. Built by Albert Lauer
1999/2000 Renovated by McGough Construction Co. for $9.8 million.
2000 Sept 21 Rededicated as the John Roach Center for Liberal Arts

Koch Commons
1997 Constructed as a multipurpose facility to house the Wellness Center, a computer lab, fitness center, lounges and administrative offices.
1998 Feb 19  Dedicated. Named in honor of David and Barbara Koch.

Lake Mennith
1887 - created when a dam was built across a stream which ran through the southeast part of the campus.
ca.1910 - disappeared from the campus landscape after the construction of a sewer line by the City of St. Paul across the campus in 1902.

Liberal Arts Building
    See Aquinas Hall


Loras Hall
1894 Constructed as north residence for St. Paul Seminary students. Designed by Cass Gilbert.
1943/1945  Housed St. Thomas Academy Students
1970's -- Housed St. John Viannney Students
1982 Acquired by College of St. Thomas to house undergraduate students

McCarthy Recreation Building
1968 Constructed as gymnasium for the St. Paul Seminary
1987 Acquired by the University of St. Thomas

McNeely Hall (Old)
       see Summit Classroom Building

McNeely Hall (New)
2005-2006 Constructed
2006 October 18 - dedicated.  Named for Harry and Adelaide McNeely parents of St. Thomas Trustee Harry McNeely, Jr.

Minneapolis Campus Building
     see Terrence Murphy Hall

Morrison Hall
1997 - 1998 Constructed as a student apartment residence hall.  Designed by McGuire Corteau Luck Architects Inc.  Constructed by Opus Corporation.
1998 September 24 - dedicated

Morrison House
2007 - property given by UST trustee, John Morrison to be used as the home of the president of the university.

Murray Hall
       see Murray-Herrick Hall

Murray-Herrick Hall
1960 Murray Hall constructed. Ellerbe and Company, architects
1978 Two floor addition added as a residence hall for female students
1988 Expanded.
1989 Nov 2 Herrick Hall addition dedicated

Music Building
    See Sitzmann Hall


Old Administration
    See Administration Building (Old)

Old Classroom Building
   See St. Thomas Military Acdemy Building

Old Chapel
    See Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas (Old)


Old Industrial School Building
    See Administration Building (Old)


Old Main
    See Administration Building (Old)


Old Science Hall
    See Science Building

Opus Hall
1997/1999 Constructed. Designed by Opus Architects and Engineers

O'Shaughnessy Educational Center
1970 Constructed. Patrick F. McGuire of Haarstick, Lundgren and Associates architect
1971 September 23 - Dedicated

O'Shaughnessy Hall
1939 - Constructed. R.C. Reinecke or Ellerbe and Co., architects
2010 - Razed

O'Shaughnessy Library
    See O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center

O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center
1959 - Constructed as O'Shaughnessy Library. Lang and Rouglind of Minneapolis, architects
1991 -  Remodeled, expanded and renamed (Frey addition)

O'Shaughnessy Science Hall
    see Frey Science and Engineering Center

O'Shaughnessy Stadium and Athletic Field
1908-11 -- Field laid out. Hugh Vincent Feehan, Landscape Architect.
1940 -- South wall constructed
1947 -- Stadium Constructed. Ellerbe & Co. Architects. Built by Edward Dunningan Co.

Owens Science Hall
    see Frey Science and Engineering Center

Parking Ramp (McNeely)
2005 -2006 - Constructed as a part of McNeely Hall (New)

Parking Ramp (Morrison and Selby)
1998 -- Constructed as a part of Morrison Hall
2004-2005  - Addition constructed as a part of Selby Hall

Physical Education Activities Center
    See Schoenecker Arena / Coughlan Field House

Physical Plant Building
1939 Constructed as Heating Plant. Designed by Ellerbe & Co., Architects.
1979 - 1980 Addition to building added

Portland House
1976 - Acquired by the College; at 2057 Portland Avenue.

President's House
       see Morrison House


Recreation Center
    See O'Shaughnessy Hall

Refectory Building
1894/1895 - Constructed as a dining hall for the St. Paul Seminary. Designed by Cass Gilbert
1978 -- Razed

St. John Vianney Seminary
1984 - Constructed. Griswold and Rauma, Inc. Architects

St. Mary's Chapel
1901 to 1905 - Constructed. Clarence H. Johnston, Architect
1905  May 24 - Dedicated
1929/1930 -- Decorated
1988 - Renovated

St. Paul Seminary Administration Building (Old)
1894 - Constructed. Designed by Cass Gilbert
1987 - Razed

St. Paul Seminary / School of Divinity Administration Building
1988/1989 - Constructed. Complex includes 1-story administration building and a 5-story student residence. Designed by Griswold, Rauma, Egge and Olson Architects

St. Paul Seminary Residence
       see St. Paul Seminary / School of Divinity Administration Building.

St.Thomas Military Academy Building
    1903 Constructed by E. J. Daly.  Originally known as the Classroom Building.
    1965 Razed

St. Thomas Aquinas Chapel (New)
      see Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas(New)

St. Thomas Aquinas Chapel (Old)
     see Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas (Old)

Schoenecker Arena-Coughlan Field House
1981 - Constructed
2009 - Razed

School of Law Building
2002/2003 - Constructed by Opus Corporation.  Designed by Opus Architects & Engineers assisted by Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbot of Boston, MA.
2003 Oct 17 - Dedicated

Schulze Hall
2004-2005 Constructed; Designed by Opus Architects and Engineers
2004 June 10 - groundbreaking
2005 October 20 - dedication

Science Building
   1900 Constructed as the Dormitory Building. Herman Kretz, architect. Built by Timothy Reardon
   1966 Razed

Selby Avenue Residence
     see Flynn Hall

Selby Hall
      see Flynn Hall

Service Building
    see Refectory Building


Service Center
1894(?)-  Built as Gymnasium and Heating Plant for the St. Paul Seminary. Designed by Cass Gilbert
1968 - After McCarthy Gym was constructed, became center for the Seminary's Physical Plant
1987 - Acquired by the University of St. Thomas

Shooting Gallery
1916 - Constructed
1980 - Razed

Sitzmann Hall
1943 - Acquired by the College as a faculty residence and to house of some STMA boarders; known as Summit Hall.
1946 - Became known as the Fine Arts Building. Housed the Music Department offices and classrooms.
1976 - Remodeled and renamed in honor of Anthony Chiuminatto, long-time chair of the Music Department
2002 - Remodeled to house the Catholic Studies Department. Renamed in honor of Eugene ('47) and Faye Sitzmann.
2009 - Addition to building constructed adding classroom space, faculty offices and a chapel.

Student Apartment Residence
    see Morrison Hall

Summit Classroom Building
1957 Constructed as the William Mitchell College of Law
1977 Acquired by the College of St.Thomas.  Named for Adelaide and Harry McNeely Sr.
2006 - Renovated and renamed Summit Classroom Building 

Summit Hall
     see Sitzmann Hall

Terrence Murphy Hall
1992 - Constructed as the original Minneapolis campus building
2000 - Renamed in honor of Msgr. Terrence Murphy

Tom Town Huts
1948 Spring - Constructed
1957 - Razed

White House
1976 - Acquired; at 44 N. Cleveland Avenue

William Mitchell Building
    see Summit Classroom Building

rev. 08/2014