All institutional purchases of software are managed by IRT. Departments take advantage of price breaks as a result of aggregate buying. University-wide management of software licensing ensures that the university remains in compliance with software copyright laws.
Purchasing software (e.g., Adobe Acrobat, FileMaker Pro, etc.) or engaging with online services (e.g., Survey Monkey, AppointmentPlus, etc.) is easy! Just send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following info:
- The software title (or service) you would like to purchase (or for which you would like to get more information)
- Your budget index number
- The AssetID number of the computer on which you would like the software to be installed.
If you wish to purchase software for your personal use, start by sending a message to email@example.com. We'll appraise you of low- or zero-cost options.
Operating Systems for Home Use
- Mac OS X: Home use for Mac OS X, iLife, and iWork is available; please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Windows: Windows 7 (64-bit) is available for checkout from OSF or Keffer Library.
- To check out Windows 7 (32-bit), please e-mail email@example.com.
Click here for the installer file. You'll see a file called "Minitab16.zip". Click on it to download (save it to your desktop). Then double-click on it to unzip the file to a folder. Inside that folder you'll find the software installer! **NOTE: Minitab is only available for the Windows operating system. There currently is no version for Apple computers.
If you just need to update your Minitab 16 license file, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll send you an updated file.
For Mathematica for faculty and staff only, just go to Faculty/Staff home use. In the space where it asks for the site activation key, enter L3125-9187 and select “A new home-use license”. On the second page, in the “Proof of Eligibility” section, choose the first option (“My status can be verified…”) and enter the following URL:
Complete the process and enjoy the software!
Office 2010/2011 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Faculty and staff can request Office 2010 (for Windows) or Office 2011 (for Mac) by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. Please include your UST ID number and whether you need Office for Mac or Windows; you'll then receive a reply with download instructions.
1. Please describe how you plan on using the requested service so we can see if an existing service might meet your needs.
2. Does the vendor offer educational pricing? What are the costs for the first three years?
3. Uptime is important for UST because we have a population that works all hours of the day. Do the support and uptime guarantees meet your business needs?
4. UST has to comply with state and federal laws that protect student information (like names, addresses, etc.). Does the vendor have measures in place to protect this data?
5. Does the system need any kind of integration with UST user accounts, e-mail, or databases?
6. Do students or external users need to access the system?
7. UST has to comply with credit card regulations. Is the system taking payment of any kind?
8. Sometimes vendor relationships don’t work out. What is your exit strategy in case you want to stop using the service?
9. What UST fac/staff/student/alumni/donor data will be stored using the service?
10. Backing your data up is important, whether on your computer or in the cloud. How often will the vendor back up your data?
Once these questions are answered, we’ll take care of negotiating the price and contract – and help you complete the initial setup. We’ll also process the payments on your behalf and notify you well in advance of the renewal date so you can decide if you want to continue with the service.
Do you have more questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.