There are many things that you can do to help keep your computer running smoothly and prevent issues from arising. Please try the suggestions below before contacting the Tech Desk. For information about safe computing and security on your personal computer can be found on the Protect your personal computer page.
- Restart your computer. Restarting your computer is recommended at least every few days. This is a basic, however, important part of maintaining your computer.
- Running your Operating System updates. Keeping your OS up-to-date can prevent you from becoming victim to malicious software.
- Running antivirus updates. Keeping your antivirus up-to-date will allow it to keep protecting your computer. IRT offers Microsoft Endpoint Protection antivirus software to be installed on your machine. To download the software, please visit our antivirus page.
- Back up your personal files and data. It is important that you determine a plan for saving and backing up your personal data. There are both hardware (e.g. USB flash drives or external hard drives) or cloud-based (e.g. Dropbox or Crashplan) options for back-up. Making sure that your data is backed up regularly will allow you to recover your files and folders in the event of a loss of data or computer crash.
- Update third party software. See the documentation link below for more information on other important software to keep updated.