Weekly Influenza & Respiratory Activity: January 6-12
January 6-12 (week 2 of 2013)
All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.
Influenza Activity Surveillance
- The percentage of tests positive for influenza during week 2 as reported from the MN Lab System (MLS) Laboratory Influenza Surveillance Program:
- Rapid influenza testing: 23.8% positive
- PCR testing: 31.4% positive
- Viral culture: 22 influenza A positives, 7 influenza B positives
- The most commonly cultured strain identified so far this season at the MDH Public Health Laboratory is influenza A/H3.
- 476 people were hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza during week 2. Since the start of the influenza season, 1,842 persons have been hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza.
- 33 deaths were identified during week 2. Since the start of the influenza season, 60 influenza-related death have been reported.
- 46 long-term care facilities (defined as skilled nursing facilities) reported confirmed outbreaks of influenza during week 2. Since the start of the season, 107 outbreaks of influenza have been reported.
- 92 schools reported outbreaks of influenza-like illness (ILI) during week 2. Since the start of the season, 254 outbreaks of ILI have been reported.
- The percentage of influenza-like illness visits to outpatient clinics involved in the U.S. Outpatient Influenza-like Illness Surveillance (ILINet) was below the regional baseline at 2.05%
Circulating Respiratory Pathogen Surveillance
Of specimens tested by PCR from 3 outpatient sites for circulating viral respiratory pathogens in the previous 3 weeks for which data are available:
- 52% were positive for influenza, of these
- 55% were positive for influenza A/H3
- 43% were positive for influenza B
- 2% were postivie for influenza A (subtype undetermined)
- 5% were positive for rhinovirus
- 3% were positive for coronavirus OC43
- 2% were positive for parainfluenza virus 2
- 2% were positive for parainfluenza virus 3
- 2% were positive for coronavirus NL63
- 1% were positive for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)
- 1% were positive for adenovirus
Of specimens positive for a viral pathogen at Minnesota's 6 virology laboratories during week 2:
- 58 were positive for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)
- 22 were positive for influenza A
- 8 were positive for parainfluenza virus 3
- 7 were positive for influenza B
- 7 were positive for adenovirus
- 2 were positive for cytomegalovirus (CMV)
- 1 was positive for parainfluenza virus 2