Steps to Hiring Student Employees
1. Getting Started
Review the mission of the Student Employment Program.
Ensure departmental funds are available - check with your budget manager.
Create a job description with duties and skills.
Review the Guide to Student Pay Rates to determine the apprpriate pay rate.
2. Post a Job
Although it is not required, Human Resources encourages departments to post all opportunities.
Log into the Talent Management System (TMS) using your UST username and password.
If you are unable to log-in, contact Human Resources for access.
- Create a job using the instructions in the Creating a Student Employment Requisition and Submitting it for Approval.
- Once submitted, your job will be reviewed by Human Resources. If no additional information is required, the job will be posted within 2 business days at which time you will receive an email notificaition and a link to the ad on the UST website.
3. Search and Selection
Candidates will apply online. Application materials can be accessed via TMS.
Review each applicant and select candidates to interview. Review the Student Interview Guide.
Create interview questions based on the responsibilities of the job. Remember the interview process is a development opportunity for students.
In TMS, move all candidates into the appropriate status (Ex. Reviewed: Not Selected, Offer Accepted, etc.).
Contact Human Resources to remove the posting from the website when you are finished collecting applications.
Contact Human Resources to close the job in TMS when you have made your hires and are finished accessing applicant information.
4. Hire Students
- Request to be set up as a supervisor in Murphy Online in order to approve Student Employment Forms. Contact Human Resources with the following information:
* Your UST ID#
* Position Title for student job
* Index Code
* Grid Code and Pay Rate (Review the Guide to Student Pay Rates)
* Does the position require a background check?
- If the student has not worked on campus within the last year, he/she must visit Human Resources in AQU 217 to fill out an I-9 and other new hire paperwork. They will be required to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify their I-9.
- If the student has worked on-campus within the last year (or once he/she has completed the new hire paperwork) the student must submit a Student Employment Form (SEF) via Murphy Online.
- The supervisor will receive an email notification indicating the SEF is waiting for approval. The approval process is completed in Murphy Online.
* If you don’t see the appropriate index, position title, or pay rate to approve the forms,
please contact HR to have your profile updated prior to submitting the forms.
- After approving the SEF, review the confirmation email to confirm the student may begin working.
* In some cases, the student may not begin working until a background screen is
approved by HR.
- Students typically gain access to Workforce, the timekeeping system, within 24 hours of an approved SEF. If forms are approved on Friday, then access will be granted on Monday (mid-morning).
Contact Us, Location & Hours
Human Resources Department
Aquinas Hall, Room 217
Main Office Hours
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm