All undergraduates are assigned a ‘primary’ advisor when they enter the university. In addition to serving as a resource for your academic questions and concerns, your primary advisor is responsible for releasing your advising hold each semester prior to course registration for the upcoming term.
Additional advising is offered to students interested in the health professions through Academic Counseling and Support, 110 MHC.
Meet with an Advisor
- To schedule an appointment with Ms. Darcel Brommer, pre-health professions advisor, call Academic Counseling and Support, 651-962-6300
- Stop by Academic Counseling and Support, 110 MHC, during pre-health advising drop-in* hours:
Mondays 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Thursdays 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
*Drop-in sessions are intended for brief 5-10 minute consultations
2014 Spring Information Series: Applying to Medical School
Tuesdays, Noon - 1:00 p.m.
Are you planning to apply to medical school in 2014? If so, email the pre-health professions advisor, Darcel Brommer firstname.lastname@example.org to register for this series on the following topics:
- 2/18 When is it the right time to apply? Should I apply this year just to get some experience? Does it matter what month I apply? When do I know when I'm ready?
- 2/25 Personal Statement: What are the do's and don'ts? What resources do we have on campus to help? How many drafts? How do I start?
- 3/4 MCAT Q & A: When to take it? Should I take a prep class? How will the MCAT change in 2015? How many times can/should I take it?
- 3/11 What schools should I apply to? How many schools? Private or Public? D.O. vs. M.D.? Can/should I apply to both?
- 3/18 AMCAS/AACOMAS: Submitting the best application. What experiences should I list? When can I start? Is there a fee-assistance program? What about letters of recommendation?
- 4/1 Biomedical Ethics: How do I talk about controversial issues? What beliefs are appropriate to share in an interview? What are the major medical ethics issues?
- 4/8 Secondaries & Interviewing: What's on them? When do I need to get them in? How can I tailor my application to each school? What's the interview like? What resources do we have to practice the interview?
4/15 Drop in Q & A: Any other questions? Want to discuss particular elements of your application? Need some encouragement?