McNair Scholars Participate in Journey for Justice!
On the tour itinerary were important Civil Rights Movement sites and discussions with foot soldiers who played a role in the movement. Site visits included:
- National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, TN
- Ole Miss in Oxford, MS
- Tour of the Mississippi Delta
- COFO Center and Fannie Lou Hamer Institute at Jackson State University, MS
- The Edmund Pettus Bridge, Selma, AL
- 16th Street Baptist Church, Birmingham, AL
- Civil Rights Institute, Birmingham, AL
- Kelly Ingram Park, Birmingham, AL
- Rosa Parks Museum, Montgomery, AL
- Civil Rights Memorial Center, Montgomery, AL
- Tuskegee University, AL
- Gullah People and South Carolina History Tour, Charleston, SC
- Savannah History Tour, GA
Upon return to UST, scholars created a memorial of both the Civil Rights Movement and their trip. Please visit us to experience their memorial project!
To view a slideshow of photographs from the tour, click here.