Graduate Certificate in Software Design and Development
This certificate is designed for those interested in acquiring state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of software development without completing the requirements for the master's degree.
NOTE: Applicants admitted without a bachelor’s degree may not continue in or transfer to a GPS master’s program.
- A bachelor's degree in any discipline from a regionally-accredited educational institution in the U.S. (or international equivalent).
OR Minimum of four years of experience in software development for applicants who do not have a bachelor's degree or the equivalent. Students without a bachelor's degree may not continue in or transfer to a GPS master's program.
- An overall grade-point-average (GPA) of at least 2.7 (Applicants with a GPA less than 2.7 will be considered for provisional admission with their professional experience factored into the decision.
Items required to complete your application:
(International students: please see International Student Admission Procedures.)
- Application fee of $50 (non-refundable)
- Completed GPS Online Application for Admission
- Admission essay giving your reasons for wanting to enter this program. Essays can be one to two pages (in .doc, .rtf, .txt, or .pdf format).
- Detailed resume which includes all work experience, job description, and any programming languages used (in .doc, .rtf, .txt, or .pdf format).
- A list of any computing-related courses not appearing on transcripts.
- Official transcript(s) from ALL universities/colleges attended bearing an institutional seal and sent directly to the Graduate Programs in Software (GPS) office by the issuing institution (even if the course work appears as transfer work on another school transcript).
Note: The GRE or GMAT is not required for the GPS programs.
Certificate completion criteria
To complete the CSDD, the student must complete six SEIS graduate courses with at least a GPA of 2.7. Certificate students have the opportunity of continuing in the MS or MSS. Master's students cannot transfer into the certificate program.
A minimum of six courses (18 semester credits) are required for this certificate.
- Choose at least two courses from the list below:
- An additional 4 electives (12 semester credits) from the GPS course list excluding the following: SEIS 600, SEIS 601, SEIS 620, SEIS621, SEIS 776, SEIS 777, SEIS 778.
- Please note: SEIS 778 Internship/Seminar may be taken, but the course will not count toward the 18 credits required for completion of the certificate.