Graduate Certificate in Information Systems
The growing audience of software users requires education in appropriate utilization of computer software and software development. This certificate program is designed for professionals who have expertise in a functional area, such as accounting, finance, education, management, retail, law, manufacturing, medicine, agriculture or government who have minimal or no software development experience. The needs of this audience can best be met with the Graduate Certificate in Information Systems.
- A bachelor's degree in any discipline from a regionally-accredited educational institution in the U.S. (or international equivalent).
- An overall grade-point-average (GPA) of at least 2.7 (Applicants with a GPA less than 2.7 will be considered for provisional admission with their professional experience factored into the decision.)
NOTE: Students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate in Information Systems will learn how to program in a high-level language as a part of the curriculum. However, prior programming experience is not an entrance requirement.
Items required to complete your application:
(International students: please see International Student Admission Procedures.)
- Application fee of $50 (non-refundable)
- Completed GPS Online Application for Admission
- Admission essay giving your reasons for wanting to enter this program. Essays can be one to two pages (in .doc, .rtf, .txt, or .pdf format).
- Detailed resume which includes all work experience, job description, and any programming languages used (in .doc, .rtf, .txt, or .pdf format).
- A list of any computing-related courses not appearing on transcripts.
- Official transcript(s) from ALL universities/colleges attended bearing an institutional seal and sent directly to the Graduate Programs in Software (GPS) office by the issuing institution (even if the course work appears as transfer work on another school transcript).
Note: The GRE or GMAT is not required for the GPS programs.
Certificate completion criteria:
Upon satisfactory completion of the required six courses with an average GPA of 2.7 or better, the Graduate Certificate in Information Systems will be awarded. Satisfactory completion of the certificate provides an opportunity for the student to continue in the Master of Science program; however, master's students cannot transfer into the certificate program.
The following six courses are required for this certificate:
- SEIS 601 Foundations of Software Development (waived with appropriate programming experience)
- SEIS 610 Software Engineering
- SEIS 635 Software Analysis and Design
- Choose three electives from the GPS course list (or four electives if SEIS 601 is waived). You may select any GPS courses you wish except the following: SEIS 600, SEIS 620, SEIS 621, SEIS 776, SEIS 777.
- Please note: SEIS 778 Internship/Seminar may be taken, but the course will not count toward the 18 credits required for completion of the certificate.