Graduate Certificate in Big Data
[4 required courses]
Companies from a variety of industries are investing heavily in the area of Big Data to economically capture large volumes of information, which is often quickly changing and streams in from disparate sources. All of this captured data feeds sophisticated data mining tools to help discover trends and correlations that might otherwise go unnoticed with the previously more limited data sampling approaches.
Organizations need to manage Big Data as they continue to capture, store, search, share, visualize and analyze massive, unstructured, and complicated data sets. In response to the growing demand to manage Big Data across all sectors (private, public, government and academic), the GPS department has created the Graduate Certificate in Big Data. This certificate will allow professionals to understand these massive datasets by having the analytics skills needed to work in this high demand field.
- A bachelor's degree in any discipline from a regionally-accredited educational institution in the U.S. (or international equivalent).
- An overall grade-point-average (GPA) of at least 2.7 (Applicants with a GPA less than 2.7 will be considered for provisional admission with their professional experience factored into the decision.)
- Applicants can be admitted without Java programming experience; however, programming in Java is required to complete both SEIS 736 and SEIS 737 courses in the Graduate Certificate in Big Data.
Items required to complete your application:
(International students: please see International Student Admission Procedures.)
- Application fee of $50 (non-refundable)
- Completed GPS Online Application for Admission
- Admission essay giving your reasons for wanting to enter this program. Essays can be one to two pages (in .doc, .rtf, .txt, or .pdf format).
- Detailed resume which includes all work experience and job descriptions.
- Official transcript(s) from ALL universities/colleges attended bearing an institutional seal and sent directly to the Graduate Programs in Software (GPS) office by the issuing institution (even if the course work appears as transfer work on another school transcript).
Note: The GRE or GMAT is not required for the GPS programs.
Certificate completion criteria
To complete the Graduate Certificate in Big Data, the student must complete these four required SEIS graduate courses (12 graduate semester credits) with at a GPA of 2.7 or better.
NOTE: Students have the option to use the coursework from the Graduate Certificate in Big Data to continue in the Master of Science degree.
The following four courses are required for this certificate:
SEIS 630 Database Management Systems and Design
SEIS 736 Big Data Architecture
SEIS 737 Big Data Management
SEIS 734 Data Mining OR SEIS 738 Data Science
- Students pursuing a GPS master’s degree also have the option of earning the Graduate Certificate in Big Data; however, students may not drop out of a GPS master's degree track to pursue a GPS graduate certificate. Please contact the GPS advisor for details.
- NOTE: SEIS 778 Internship/Seminar may be taken, but course will not count toward the 12 credits required for completion of the certificate.
- Any substitutions must be approved by the GPS Director.