New GPS Student Registration Instructions/Required Forms/Resources -- For NEW students ONLY
GPS Course Schedules/Class Meeting Dates/Topics (replaces Registration Booklets):
- Spring 2016 GPS Registration Schedule (PDF)
- Summer 2016 GPS Course Registration Schedule (PDF)
- Fall 2016 GPS Course Registration schedule (PDF)
Current students will receive registration materials or e-mail notification prior to the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.
- Registrations for courses are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis during the designated registration period. To find out when you are eligible to register, log on to Murphy Online.
- Students who attempt to register for courses by mail without the necessary course prerequisites will be contacted by the GPS office. MURPHY On-Line will reject registration attempts for courses when the prerequisites are not satisfied.
- Returning students may register using MURPHY On-Line , the web registration system, or by mail. New students may register either by mail, or in person by appointment.
- Attending class is prohibited unless the student is officially enrolled in that class and section. All instructors have been notified to admit only those students whose names are on the class roster unless the student has proof of enrollment. Under no circumstances will credit be issued to anyone who attends a class for which s/he is not officially registered.
Registration Terms and Policies:
Add/Drop or Withdraw Courses
Students are able to add courses using MURPHY ONLINE until the beginning of the second week of classes in each semester. To make any other changes to your registration after the withdrawal deadline, you must have special permission and contact the GPS office with your St. Thomas ID number. Failure to drop or withdraw from a course using MURPHY ONLINE or through the GPS office could result in full financial and academic liability.
CRN - Course Reference Number
This is a five-digit number assigned to each class section and is listed in the SEIS course schedule.
Changes in Personal Information
If there are any changes to personal information (address, phone number, employment, or emergency contact) you should make the necessary changes on the GPS registration form and return it to the GPS office whether you register by mail or online.
GPS students may register for no more than 12 credits in Spring and Fall semesters and six in the Summer semester. Most SEIS courses are three credits each.
If you did not register for any classes in the previous year, you must call the GPS office at 651-962-5500 to have your status activated. You will also need to complete a new Payment Agreement form.
To register for independent study or if you plan to audit a course you must obtain permission from the GPS Director, Dr. Bhabani Misra and then register by mail.
To find out when you are eligible to register, log on to Murphy Online. Choose "Check Your Registration Status" from the registration menu. The student registration order is based on the number of credits a student has earned (i.e., courses in which a grade has been assigned). Students who have the fewest credits remaining to complete his/her program will be able to register the soonest. Students with the same number of credits completed and are in different programs do not register at the same time.
Registering for other Graduate classes at the University of St. Thomas (Cross Registration)
Students may take elective courses from other St. Thomas graduate programs. As part of their degree program, MSS students may use two non-SEIS graduate courses and MSDD and MS students may use four non-SEIS graduate courses toward their degree. If you are interested in taking a course in another St. Thomas program, contact the GPS Director, Dr. Bhabani Misra, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration holds prevent students from registering. Students who have a hold placed on their registration will see a message on the GPS Registration form in the Notes section that indicates there is a hold and who to contact. Murphy Online will also inform you of any holds and who to contact.
Saturday Class Dates
GPS Saturday classes have two schedules: A or B. Schedule A classes begin the first week of classes and schedule B classes begin the second week. Saturday A and B classes alternate in order for a student to be able to register for two Saturday classes in a semester.
Wait List Policy
Students may place themselves on the wait list via MURPHY ONLINE or they may contact the GPS office. Students who are on a wait list are not registered and may not attend the class. As openings occur in a class section, students on the wait list will be contacted by email at the student's St. Thomas e-mail address primarily or by phone if no St. Thomas email account exists (new students automatically receive email accounts within 48 hours after registering for a course).
The University of St. Thomas is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.