GPS Course Schedules/Class Meeting Dates/Topics
(Schedules are subject to change - consult Murphy Online for most current course list):
- Spring 2017 GPS Course Registration Schedule (PDF)
- Summer 2017 GPS Course Schedules and Deadlines (PDF)
- Fall 2017 GPS Course Schedules and Deadlines (PDF)
- Registrations for courses are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis during the designated registration period. To find out when you are eligible to register, log on to Murphy Online.
- Returning students may register using MURPHY Online . If you have not taken a class for more than a year, you will need to contact Graduate Programs in Software to have your account returned to Active Status. Please contact us at 651-962-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Please include your St. Thomas ID in all correspondence.
- Attending class is prohibited unless the student is officially enrolled in that class and section. All instructors have been notified to admit only those students whose names are on the class roster unless the student has proof of enrollment. Under no circumstances will credit be issued to anyone who attends a class for which s/he is not officially registered.
How to Register:
- Register online via the St. Thomas Murphy Online and Classfinder Systems. Contact Graduate Programs in Software at 651-962-5500 if you need assistance.
- Assemble the CRN numbers for the classes you wish to take from ClassFinder . Select the Term and then click Engineering under Grad Subject Areas.
- Select MURPHY for Students & Faculty on the dropdown menu
- Log into Murphy Online using your St. Thomas username and password
- Select Student Services
- Click on Registration
- Select Term that you are registering for.
- Add or Drop Class
- Enter the CRN of the classes you wish to register for and submit
- If the class you want to take is full, it is important that you place yourself on the waitlist via Murphy Online.
As a matter of process our staff will no longer be sending emails to alert you that you have been registered from the wait list. If your name is next on the list and a spot in the course opens up, you will be registered automatically. It is YOUR responsibility to check your registration status on Murphy Online, and if your interests in the course change YOU are responsible for removing yourself from the course or wait list.
Other Details in the Registration Process:
- Contact your advisor if you need assistance choosing a course.
- Hold on your record? Check Murphy Online. Call the Business Office with questions at 651-962-6600 for any financial related hold, or Graduate Programs in Software at 651-962-5500 if you are unsure who placed the hold on your record.
- Check the prerequisites for all courses. Make sure you have satisfied any prerequisite listed in the schedule for each course you choose. You will not be able to register for the course if you have not satisfied the prerequisites.
Important Information about dropping a class:
In the event you must drop a class, it is important to be aware of the Refund Schedule since refunds are issued on a declining scale. If you have any questions, contact Graduate Programs in Software at 651-962-5500. All requests to drop a class after the semester has started must be submitted via email to Graduate Programs in Software at email@example.com . The date and time of the email will mark the effective drop date.
Registration Terms and Policies:
Add/Drop or Withdraw Courses
Students are able to add courses using MURPHY ONLINE until the beginning of the second week of classes in each semester. To make any other changes to your registration after the withdrawal deadline, you must have special permission and contact the GPS office with your St. Thomas ID number. Failure to drop or withdraw from a course using MURPHY ONLINE or through the GPS office could result in full financial and academic liability.
CRN - Course Reference Number
This is a five-digit number assigned to each class section and is listed in the SEIS course schedule.
Changes in Personal Information
If there are any changes to personal information (address, phone number, employment, or emergency contact) you should make the necessary changes in Murphy Online.
GPS students may register for no more than 6 credits each Spring and Fall semesters.
If you did not register and your status is inactive you must call the GPS office at 651-962-5500 to have your status reactivated.
To register for independent study or if you plan to audit a course you must obtain permission from the GPS Director, Dr. Bhabani Misra.
To find out when you are eligible to register, log on to Murphy Online. Choose "Check Your Registration Status" from the registration menu. The student registration order is based on the number of credits a student has remaining. Students who have the fewest credits remaining to complete his/her program will have priority registration. Students with the same number of credits completed and are in different programs do not register at the same time.
Registering for other Graduate classes at the University of St. Thomas (Cross Registration)
Students may take elective courses from other St. Thomas graduate programs. If you are interested in taking a course in another St. Thomas program, contact the GPS Director, Dr. Bhabani Misra, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration holds prevent students from registering. Murphy Online will inform you of any holds and who to contact.
Saturday Class Dates
GPS Saturday classes have two schedules: A or B. Schedule A classes begin the first week of classes and schedule B classes begin the second week. Saturday A and B classes alternate in order for a student to be able to register for two Saturday classes in a semester.
Wait List Policy
Students may place themselves on the wait list via MURPHY ONLINE. Students who are on a wait list are not registered and may not attend the class. As a matter of process our staff will no longer be sending emails to alert you that you have been registered from the wait list. If your name is next on the list and a spot in the course opens up, you will be registered automatically. It is YOUR responsibility to check your registration status on Murphy Online, and if your interests in the course change YOU are responsible for removing yourself from the course or wait list.