The Faculty Writers Program
Are you working on an article, book manuscript, grant application, or other writing project that you’d very much like to complete? Do you need feedback on your work in progress or information on how to prepare manuscripts for publication?
Through the Faculty Writers Program at UST, you’ll gain support to become—or continue to be—a productive writer and scholar. The Faculty Writers Program is a collaboration between the Faculty Development Center and the Center for Writing through which faculty and staff will find ongoing support as they write. Whether new to UST, ABD, or a seasoned colleague, ALL faculty and staff are welcome to the support of the Faculty Writers Program.
In the Faculty Writers Program you’ll find:
- On-campus week-long retreats. Two to three writing retreats each year—one in J-term and two in summer—to help you maintain your productivity. For five days, you’ll focus on a writing project so you can make substantial headway on it (if not complete it) among supportive colleagues in the distraction-free space of the Center for Writing.
- Friday 'Hide and Write' Retreats. On Friday afternoons, the Center for Writing will be open by reservation for writing without distraction.
- Workshops. Stephen Brookfield’s workshops include “Developing Book Proposals for Scholarly Publishers,” “Writing and Submitting Articles to Journals,” and “Starting to Get Published: Writing Articles and Chapters in Edited Collections.”
- Individual conferences. Beyond the retreats (or perhaps as a result of them), Susan Callaway can provide online and face-to-face conferences with you as you write during the year. These conversations can help you with issues such as seeing your writing from a reader’s perspective, writing introductions or conclusions, or revising based on editors’ comments.
- Help with establishing or joining a writing group. For ongoing support throughout the year, a writing group can give you perspective, support, and structure to keep you productive.
You’ll receive announcements and registration information about the workshops and the retreats via email and Synergia. Feel free to contact the Faculty Development Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Susan Callaway (email@example.com) with any questions.
Who are we?
- Dr. Susan Callaway is the Director of the Center for Writing and Associate Professor of English and has been at UST since 1996.
- Dr. Stephen Brookfield is Distinguished University Professor in the School of Education and has been at UST since 1995.