Marketing and Communications
Programs that Position You for Promotion
Business Communication and Personal Brand not only helps improve skills in presenting yourself, but also in defining the image you need to project based on individual goals. Self-awareness, skill building and understanding the context of business communication in the 21st century will provide you with the opportunity to better understand your role in communication processes at work immediately and help achieve your career goals long term.
- Develop well-crafted communication from solid strategic messaging
- Refine your writing skills and ability to communicate distinctively and creatively can help achieve that messaging more effectively
- Expose yourself to useful tactics in communication strategy
- Build a personal brand and create a personalized plan for effective communication and visibility in the workplace
Learn to maximize your presence on the internet with a variety of media and new internet marketing strategies. Through hands-on training using powerful yet practical tools, you will learn to drive traffic to your website, increase conversion rates, and strengthen your email campaigns.
Internet Marketing Essentials is a part of two comprehensive marketing certificate series. If you wish to build your marketing career and skills further after attending Internet Marketing Essentials, please visit the following programs:
Marketing jobs are highly coveted and competition is fierce, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
You can differentiate yourself by becoming the go-to marketer who continuously brings knowledge, fresh insights and proven strategies to your organization.
If you cannot decide between the Digital Marketing Certificate and the Social Media Marketing Certificate, this Comparison chart should help you with your decision.
How to Register:
To register online:
- Select "Registration Information" from the navigation panel at the top right of any page in a program microsite. This takes you to the Registration page for that program
- Click on either of the "Dates and Registration" buttons on the page
- On the next page, select the session you wish to attend by clicking "Select & Continue"
- Once you've filled out the registration page, you'll be directed to online payment
- Register and pay online, OR
- Register online and pay with a check or P.O. by mail
Payment Options for Your Education
We are flexible when working with individuals to ensure ease of payment in a variety of situations. The most common methods of payment are described below.
If your company will pay for your continuing education, get approval from them for the specific program(s) you want to attend. You can register for the program and either pay for the program on your company card, with a PO request and check from your company, or pay with your own funds and file for reimbursement. Those are the most common methods of company payment, but be sure to talk to your supervisor or HR department to find out the specifics in your company.
Tax benefit:* If you receive educational benefits from your employer, you can exclude up to $5,250 each year from your taxes. Schooling that is job related does not count against the $5,250 cap. Educational assistance of less than this amount should not be included in your compensation statement received from your employer (IRS, p970/ch11).
In order to move ahead in your career you may need to invest in professional development. Think of this as an investment because it will open up new opportunities for you now and in the future.
Tax benefit:* The IRS offers a Lifetime learning credit which covers continuing education courses taken by employees for a 20% credit on up to $10,000 of tuition in one year [Subject to certain limits.] (IRS, p970/ch03).
Workforce Development Centers
Layoffs and cut-backs in companies across the country can be disheartening. However, people can take advantage of government funded programs through Workforce Development Centers to enroll in professional development programs. Some job transitioners use this opportunity to refine their skills in a familiar area, while others choose to learn a new skill set that can make them more marketable to potential employers.
We have experience working with these centers and try to make the process as easy as possible for you. First, meet with a counselor in a workforce development center to determine what will be of the most benefit to you and your professional development and get their approval to take a program. Next, call us and let us know you are working with one of these centers. Your counselor will then send us their official authorization and payment directly.
* Examples provided here are for informational purposes only. The tax benefits mentioned here might not apply to your situation. The University of St Thomas does not provide legal, tax, accounting or other advice. Please consult with an appropriate professional to discuss how this applies to you.
Payment and Cancellation Policies
The full fee or approved purchase order is due at the time of registration. Registration cannot be processed if payment is not enclosed. Call (651) 962-4600 for information. Substitutions or transfers can be made up to the day of the program.
If you need to cancel, please call our office at least five working days before the beginning of the program to avoid a 10 percent processing fee.
Cancellations made after the program begins are subject to the full fee. Additional registration materials, maps to the location, etc. will be sent to you after we receive your registration.