Digital Marketing Fundamentals
Learn the strategies and tactics around marketing online
Long gone are the days when marketers could operate without considering digital tools as part of their overall marketing strategy. However, according to Capgemini Consulting, 90% of companies lack digital marketing skills. This includes both an understanding of the tools available as well as choosing which tools fit best with the marketing strategy. At the same time, 87% of companies see digital transformation is a competitive opportunity.
Don’t fall behind in your understanding of both digital marketing tools and how essential they are into fitting in an overall marketing strategy. Choose this program to gain a solid understanding of:
- What is digital marketing and why is it important?
- How to develop a digital marketing strategy
- Which tools can and should be included in your strategy
- The role your website plays in marketing
- Methods for getting customers to your website
As part of this program you will build your own website and create a google adwords campaign!
Learn the fundamentals of online marketing
Module 1: Overview of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing can include a variety of tools and methods to reach your customer no matter if you are marketing to other businesses or directly to consumers. In order to determine which tool or set of tools fit best into your marketing strategy, you must first understand the tools as well as how and why each can be used. You’ll leave this session with a better understanding of:
- Social Media
- Search and Display Advertising
Module 2: Digital Marketing Strategy
Understanding your organization’s unique value proposition and marketing goals will help create your digital strategy. The strategy will help to determine which digital marketing tools you should and should not use in these efforts. After this session, you will learn how to:
- Confirm business goals and priorities
- Determine digital channels
- Brainstorm digital opportunities
- Prioritize digital opportunities
- Develop a digital marketing plan
Module 3: Hands-on - Keyword Research, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Paid Search Planning
An important element of your online presence is helping potential customers find you, whether that is appearing in organic search results or paying for ad space based on keywords. Learn how to help your customers, whether individual consumers or businesses, find you through online search. You will leave this session with hands-on experience in:
- Search engine optimization – and understanding why it is important
- The difference between organic and paid search results – how to do well in both
- Identifying keywords to incorporate into your website content and paid search
- Creating a google adwords campaign to drive traffic with paid ads
Module 4: Optimizing Website Experience
Your customers have found you but do they stick around to learn more or buy something? Consider what is important to your customer as you create and optimize your website. You’ll understand:
- How to design for good user experience
- What to consider for a good mobile experience
- Why conversion rates matter and how to optimize
- The dos and don’ts of landing pages
- Tools to increase conversion rates
Module 5: Hands-on – Social Media Advertising
In addition to using search engine marketing tactics, social media platforms such as facebook, linked in and twitter have created ways to advertise to those active on their sites. Just like brick and mortar retailers deciding where to locate based on where their customers frequent, digital marketers should do the same. Depending on your target consumer, social media could be a good place to find them. Using these popular platforms, you will:
- Create an ad account on facebook, linked in and twitter
- Discuss strategies and tactics looking at the ways organizations have used each platform
- Explore measurement and optimization for social media advertising
- Review best practices for social media advertising
Module 6: Hands-on - Email Marketing
By optimizing search, you are creating ways for customers to find you. Email is a way to present your customers with a reason to want to explore more. While you practice creating your own email message, you will:
- Use a free tool for email marketing that can be brought back to your organization
- Build your own email campaign from start to finish
- Discuss best practices in using email for marketing
- Gain an understanding of how to analyze results and make adjustments
Module 7: Hands-on - Build a Website
Your website is the hub of all of your digital marketing efforts and an important way to convey your brand, products and information of interest to your customer base. Most of the digital marketing tools discussed in this program will drive customers to your website at various stages of the customer lifecycle. While you build your own website, you will gain a solid understanding of:
- How content management systems are used to manage websites
- The purpose(s) of your website in driving business
- Project management methods for building websites including agile and waterfall
- Where your website will intertwine into other digital marketing tools
- How to target content to different types of customers and stakeholders
- Best practices in website development
Gain skills in an area of job growth and opportunity
The world of digital marketing is constantly changing. With the latest Capgemini Consulting survey showing that only 8% of companies have staff well trained in digital marketing, there are clear opportunities in this area.
Digital marketing takes both an understanding of the tools and strategy to fit these channels into your marketing strategy. This program has been designed for:
- Traditional marketers looking to expand their skillset with digital tools and strategy know-how
- Supervisors leading teams working within the digital space
- Technical professionals who have a basic understanding of the tools but not the strategy driving business decisions
- Those looking to transition into positions within digital marketing
Learn from our top-notch faculty with industry experience
This program uses the prof + prof model meaning you'll learn in a team taught program including a St. Thomas faculty member (prof) and a professional (prof) working in this area. This combination brings the best of both worlds.
As a proven leader in the interactive marketing space, Gino Giovannelli created Miles Interactive in 2006 to help clients identify how to best leverage the Internet to delight customers and maximize business success. Miles Interactive clients include Caribou Coffee, Famous Dave’s, Life Time Fitness and Sun Country Airlines, Bloomington Convention & Visitor Bureau, University of MN Alumni Association and MN Super Bowl Host Committee.
Prior to starting Miles Interactive, Giovannelli served as Vice President of Carlson Interactive, an Interactive agency within Carlson Companies. During his tenure at Carlson, Giovannelli was responsible for the online success of Carlson businesses such as Radisson Hotels & Resorts, Country Inn & Suites, TGI Fridays, Regent Seven Seas Cruises and Carlson Wagonlit Travel. In addition, Carlson Interactive also served the needs of external clients such as The Home Depot, Saturn, Northwest Airlines and British Airways.
Carie is a Paid Media Strategist at Three Deep Marketing, an online marketing agency in St. Paul, MN. She manages pay-per-click campaigns in AdWords, AdCenter, LinkedIn and Facebook for various clients across consumer products, home improvement, healthcare, and education verticals.
Previously, Carie was the Online Marketing Manager of Executive Education and Professional Development Programs (now Executive Education) for the University of St. Thomas, where she managed the email process from creation to delivery of HTML email messages. She also managed paid search marketing for the center.
Invest in your career - Gain a strong ROI
Why Digital Marketing Fundamentals?
Upon completion of this program, you’ll do your Monday smarter with:
- Tactical skills in an area identified as lacking in 90% of companies. (Capgemini Consulting Survey)
- An understanding of how digital marketing tools including websites, email, search and display advertising, social media, and mobile could fit into your marketing strategy
- Hands-on experience using digital marketing tools including websites, search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM)
- A website you designed during this program
- Experience creating google adwords campaigns, social media advertising and email marketing to get customers to your website
Additional Program Details:
- Cost includes tuition, learning materials and refreshments.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are non-credit educational experiences; one CEU is equivalent to 10 contact hours of study and will be noted on your completion certificate.
- Program sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus. Parking is available within one block.
- There are no prerequisites for this program.
At St. Thomas Executive Education you will:
- Gain practical tools from experienced faculty
- Learn current, real-world skills you can apply on Monday (and every day)
- Network with other professionals working in business
- Have a personalized experience from program exploration to successful completion
All of this leads to a smart, practical and personalized experience to gain confidence and excel in your career. With over 30 open enrollment programs, we can help you dive into a specific topic area, understand business terminology and further develop your leadership and management skills.