Physician Leadership College
Become a confident, effective and influential leader who strives for better patient care
Watch a five-minute introduction to Physician Leadership College (PLC)
Today, many physicians are asked to assume leadership roles without the requisite education and preparation. The result is a growing number of physician executives seeking guidance as they prepare to take on positions of greater influence and authority within their health care organizations. The Physician Leadership College (PLC) is designed for physicians who have significant leadership experience but anticipate an increasing role and greater opportunity within their organizations.
This program will help physicians who want to become more:
- Influential in motivating and inspiring others, managing and resolving conflicts and working with administration
- Effective in creating best practices, as well as improving health care outcomes, employee performance and financial results
- Confident in their ability to step up to new leadership opportunities and find creative solutions to challenges
- Respected by administrators, peers and direct reports because of the confident, principled and ethical ways they approach leadership
Sponsoring health care organizations see many benefits when their physicians complete this program. Our graduates:
- Improve organizational service, quality and financial performance
- Develop personal loyalty to the organization, improving physician retention and recruitment
- Spearhead new initiatives
- Collaborate with business leaders and clinical groups
- Effectively carry out leadership roles and responsibilities
Continuing Medical Education Accreditation
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Minnesota Medical Association (MMA) through the joint providership of Hennepin County Medical Center and University of St. Thomas. Hennepin County Medical Center is accredited by the MMA to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Hennepin County Medical Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The application deadline for UST’s Physician Leadership College is July 15, 2016. After acceptance into PLC, a participant may:
- Withdraw with written notice submitted to UST prior to August 12, 2016. A $1,000 administrative fee will be charged.
- Defer attendance for one year with written notice submitted to UST prior to August 12, 2016. A $1,000 deferral fee will be charged and applied to the applicant’s 2017 PLC program fee.
- Transfer his/her seat to another physician with written notice submitted to UST prior to August 12, 2016. Transfers may be granted pending availability and application acceptance. No transfer fee will be charged.
No withdrawal, deferral or transfer request will be possible after August August 12, 2016.
Payment Options for Your Education
We are flexible when working with individuals to ensure ease of payment in a variety of situations. The most common methods of payment are described below.
If your company will pay for your continuing education, get approval from them for the specific program(s) you want to attend. You can register for the program and either pay for the program on your company card, with a PO request and check from your company, or pay with your own funds and file for reimbursement. Those are the most common methods of company payment, but be sure to talk to your supervisor or HR department to find out the specifics in your company.
Tax benefit:* If you receive educational benefits from your employer, you can exclude up to $5,250 each year from your taxes. Schooling that is job related does not count against the $5,250 cap. Educational assistance of less than this amount should not be included in your compensation statement received from your employer (IRS, p970/ch11).
In order to move ahead in your career you may need to invest in professional development. Think of this as an investment because it will open up new opportunities for you now and in the future.
Tax benefit:* The IRS offers a Lifetime learning credit which covers continuing education courses taken by employees for a 20% credit on up to $10,000 of tuition in one year [Subject to certain limits.] (IRS, p970/ch03).
Workforce Development Centers
Layoffs and cut-backs in companies across the country can be disheartening. However, people can take advantage of government funded programs through Workforce Development Centers to enroll in professional development programs. Some job transitioners use this opportunity to refine their skills in a familiar area, while others choose to learn a new skill set that can make them more marketable to potential employers.
We have experience working with these centers and try to make the process as easy as possible for you. First, meet with a counselor in a workforce development center to determine what will be of the most benefit to you and your professional development and get their approval to take a program. Next, call us and let us know you are working with one of these centers. Your counselor will then send us their official authorization and payment directly.
* Examples provided here are for informational purposes only. The tax benefits mentioned here might not apply to your situation. The University of St Thomas does not provide legal, tax, accounting or other advice. Please consult with an appropriate professional to discuss how this applies to you.
Payment and Cancellation Policies
The full fee or approved purchase order is due at the time of registration. Registration cannot be processed if payment is not enclosed. Call (651) 962-4600 for information. Substitutions or transfers can be made up to the day of the program.
If you need to cancel, please call our office at least five working days before the beginning of the program to avoid a 10 percent processing fee.
Cancellations made after the program begins are subject to the full fee. Additional registration materials, maps to the location, etc. will be sent to you after we receive your registration.