Mini MBA Program
Top business training and leadership practices
In today’s global economy, professionals need a deeper understanding of core business functions in order to make strategic business decisions that deliver results.
The University of St. Thomas’ Mini MBA Program focuses on gaining in-depth knowledge and problem-solving skills to tackle the biggest challenges faced by business leaders today, including:
- Staying current with the changing legal and social environments in business
- Understanding managerial responsibilities as they relate to the entire business enterprise
- Managing shifting global business initiatives
- Optimizing strategic planning goals
- Making sound, ethical business decisions
- Being an effective leader who can motivate while still managing
Small class sizes foster a collaborative learning environment with a tight-knit network of industry peers who will remain an outstanding resource long after completion of the program.
Become a stronger leader and broaden your business acumen
The Mini MBA Program emphasizes the professional skills that individuals need to remain competitive in the business world including:
- Business acumen
- Business ethics
- Business Simulation- Make real-life business decisions and analyze their effects on a company
- Legal and social environments of business
- Economics: markets, organizations and management strategies
- Marketing management
- Operations management
- Lean Six Sigma quality management
- Finance and accounting for management decision making
- International business
- Human resource management
- Organizational behavior
- Strategic management
- Leadership practices
Adance your career with the Mini MBA Program
The Mini MBA Program is designed for the professional who wants to advance in their career or make themselves more valuable to their current organization. It adds valuable skills to the resumes of those professionals who are changing careers or looking for the next opportunity.
Participant titles and job functions may include, but are not limited to:
- Operations Manager
- Office Manager
- General Manager
- Sales Manager
- Marketing Director
- Marketing Manager
- Brand Manager
- Project Manager
- Customer Service Manager
- IT Manager
- Business Consultant
- Business Analyst
- Management Analyst
- Program Analyst
- Entrepreneurs and business owners
- Individuals looking to advance in their careers or those making a career change
Learn from our top-notch faculty with industry experience
Dave Brennan has a Ph.D. from Kent State University, 12 years of business experience (Target Corp., General Tire, The Travelers) and 33 years of teaching experience (Minnesota State-Mankato, Kent State, Bemidji State, University of Minnesota, St. Thomas). He is a professor of marketing and co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at St. Thomas. He is an active researcher, consultant and media interviewee in the areas of marketing and business planning for retailers, suppliers and cities. His research focuses on discounting, especially Walmart and Target; shopping centers, especially the Mall of America; retail industry structure and retail consumer behavior.
Mick Sheppeck received his Ph.D. in industrial/organizational psychology from the University of South Florida. He teaches various human resource courses in the undergraduate business school, the Health Care UST MBA program and the Executive UST MBA program. His teaching style is interactive and focused on applied issues in business, nonprofit and government organizations. He worked in various human resource jobs at the National Bank of Detroit, Assessment Designs International and Honeywell, Inc.
Sheppeck's research activities are focused on the integration between an organization's marketplace customer strategy and its workforce strategy. Together with Jack Militello, he received the Ulrich-Lake Award in 2001 for the best applied paper in the Human Resource Management journal. He consults in the areas of human capital management, talent/succession management, competency modeling, employee selection and assessment, performance management, training and development, and employee attitude surveying.
Dave Vang graduated summa cum laude from St. Cloud State University and received a Ph.D. in economics from Iowa State University. Besides being an award-winning teacher, he has performed more than 70 consulting assignments for firms ranging from small businesses to Fortune 100 corporations. He has been a CFO for a technology firm through the process of start up to going public, and this experience led him to co-author the textbook Entrepreneurial Finance: An Applied Approach 3rd edition, published by M.E. Sharpe
Invest in your career - Gain a strong ROI
Why the Mini MBA Program?
- Gain a well-rounded perspective. This program is taught by industry professionals who have real-world experience to bring to the table.
- Leave with skills to apply the next day. Be able to immediately apply what you learn and influence your teams for the better.
- Participate in a business simulation. Compete with other teams on a business simulation to apply the skills you learn in a real-world situation.
- Be a versatile candidate. Whether you own a business or work for one, the skills you learn will prepare you to handle any business problem thrown your way.
Additional Program Details:
- Cost includes tuition, learning materials and refreshments.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are non-credit educational experiences; one CEU is equivalent to 10 contact hours of study and will be noted on your completion certificate.
- Program sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus. Parking is available within one block.
- There are no prerequisites for this program.
At St. Thomas Executive Education you will:
- Gain practical tools from experienced faculty
- Learn current, real-world skills you can apply on Monday (and every day)
- Network with other professionals working in business
- Have a personalized experience from program exploration to successful completion
All of this leads to a smart, practical and personalized experience to gain confidence and excel in your career. With over 30 open enrollment programs, we can help you dive into a specific topic area, understand business terminology and further develop your leadership and management skills.