Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate
Identify, address and correct problems
Lean Six Sigma (LSS) combines Lean’s efficiency techniques with Six Sigma methodology. The structure of Six Sigma, when used with the waste reduction of Lean, enables an organization to immediately improve its cash flow, enhance customer service and systematically improve processes that impact the customer.
The University of St. Thomas’ Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certification program builds on the knowledge gained in previous Six Sigma certification classes and focuses on gaining in-depth understanding and problem-solving skills to take on the biggest challenges faced by organizations and Operations executives today, including:
- Acting as a mentor to Six Sigma Yellow and Green Belts within the company
- Understanding how to identify, address and correct a problem in any part of the business structure
- Developing managerial and leadership qualities
- Applying Lean concepts such as 5S, waste reduction, process, stream, and value mapping, as well as mistake proofing
- Defining, scoping, and executing DMAIC projects
- Performing advanced statistical analyses to determine the relationship between key inputs and process outputs
The Lean Six Sigma Black Belt training and certification program emphasizes the different program phases that keep organizations moving forward quickly and efficiently including:
- Lean Six Sigma including the philosophy and improvement method
- The Define Phase with topics such as SIPOC-R/system roadmaps and SWOT Analysis
- The Measure Phase including creating process flow maps, descriptive statistics, and DPPM, PPK, and Z-Scores
- The Analyze Phase made up of brainstorming/affinity diagrams, ANOVA/GLM, tests for variances, and more
- The Improve Phase where you learn things like how to design experiments and conduct potential problem analysis (PPA)
- The Control Phase that includes control plans, FMEA training, process documentation, and the communication of project results
Lean Six Sigma
The Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate program is for those individuals who have direct communication with all levels of management and the authority to select and initiate key strategic projects. Participants should have at least two years of experience working in Operations, a strong understanding of statistics, Six Sigma Green Belt certification, and must have completed a project that yielded increased revenue.
Participant titles and job functions may include, but are not limited to:
- Operations Manager
- Director of Operational Excellence
- Functional Project Lead
- Senior Project Manager
- Quality Engineer
- Senior Engineer
- Reliability Engineer
- Operating System Specialist
- Lead Manufacturing Engineer
- Warehouse Operations Manager
- Project Engineer
- Program Manager
- Compliance Structural Engineer
- Business Process Manager
- Lead Analyst/Project Manager
- Business Process Improvement Consultant
- Lean Six Sigma Consultant
- Director, Performance Excellence
- Entrepreneurs and business owners
- Individuals looking to advance in their careers or those making a career change
Learn from our top-notch faculty with industry experience
John R. Olson, Ph.D.
John Olson is a professor and chairs the department of Operations and Supply Chain Management at the University of St. Thomas. He holds a Ph.D. in Operations Management and Statistics from the University of Nebraska. He has consulted with numerous firms across the Midwest in the areas of Six Sigma and quality management, Lean thinking, theory of constraints, project management, and strategic management of operations. Dr. Olson has worked with 40+ organizations, including the Veterans Administration’s several smaller regional clinics, to improve their organizational systems.
Dr. Olson’s research interests focus on how companies create value in the supply chain. He has examined many different industries, including health care, manufacturing, e-commerce, e-services, and logistics, and has published over 20 articles in leading academic journals and trade publications.
Invest in your career - Gain a strong ROI
Why Choose Lean Six Sigma Black Belt?
- Develop Your Leadership Potential. A strong Black Belt needs to be proven leader of the team. Learn communication, managerial, and overall leadership presence to lead a team on high profile projects.
- Make Data Based Decisions Perform advanced statistical analysis to determine input and output relationships. Use this data to make informed decisions on process improvement.
- Drive Project Success. Identify and reduce waste using a combination of lean and Six Sigma methodology to better the customer experience.
- Earn a Certification. By successfully completing this program you will earn a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certification through the University of St. Thomas. This certification will add credibility to your experience and demonstrate your skills as a Six Sigma leader.
- At least two years as an operations professional
- Previous Six Sigma Green Belt training
- To be eligible for certification, you must complete a project that increases ROI
Additional Program Details:
- Cost includes tuition, learning materials and refreshments.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are non-credit educational experiences; one CEU is equivalent to 10 contact hours of study and will be noted on your completion certificate.
- Program sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus. Parking is available within one block.
At St. Thomas Executive Education you will:
- Gain practical tools from experienced faculty
- Learn current, real-world skills you can apply on Monday (and every day)
- Network with other professionals working in business
- Have a personalized experience from program exploration to successful completion
All of this leads to a smart, practical and personalized experience to gain confidence and excel in your career. With over 30 open enrollment programs, we can help you dive into a specific topic area, understand business terminology and further develop your leadership and management skills.