Please check your eligibility for the Excel! Research Scholars Program before you apply!
To apply for the Excel! Research Scholars Program, students must:
- Meet all eligibility requirements for the program
- Be able to commit to the full-time, eight-week summer program and all program expectations
- Submit an application to the Excel! Research Scholars Program office.
Applications must include:
1. Application form (Request your application by sending an email to ExcelScholars@stthomas.edu). Please completely fill out the application and print, sign, and send to the program office along with supporting forms
2. A copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) found through the FAFSA website
3. Personal statement as outlined in the program application
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty
5. One copy of all academic transcripts (unofficial is permisable)
6. First-generation parent signature form (found in application form)
7. A copy of a government-issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, driver's permit, etc.)
Eligible students must:
- Be a first-generation college student OR hold U.S. military status
- Must be interested in obtaining a graduate degree, such as: M.A., M.S., M.S.W., Ph.D., Ed.D., Psy.D., D.S.W., or J.D. (M.D. and nursing, professional medical fields, or technical fields are not qualified for this program)
- Must have at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student at the University of St. Thomas, Concordia University-St. Paul, Hamline University, Macalester College, or St. Catherine University
- Must be current sophomore, a junior in fall 2013, and have completed 60 undergraduate credit hours by May 2013
- Must commit to the eight-week summer program for full-time research or an internship
Eligibility to apply for this program will be determined by the Program Director before your application is reviewed for admission. Applications submitted by ineligible students will not be considered.
Students who are selected will be asked to sign a commitment letter. All selections are final and may not be appealed.