Admission as a Degree-Seeking Student
The first step to earning your M.A. Degree in English is to meet the requirements outlined below.
Deadlines for Online Application and Receipt of All Required Materials:
March 1 for summer or fall enrollment. After March 1, applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until August 15.
October 1 for spring enrollment. After October 1, applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until January 15.
Degree-Seeking Application Requirements
- A completed application (online) to the College of Arts and Sciences graduate English program.
- Three confidential letters of recommendation. It is important that your letters address your relevant academic abilities and achievements. At least two letters should be from former professors.
- A writing sample of literary analysis. This 7-15 page paper should be a close, analytical reading of a text rather than a broad overview of a topic. You may consider revising a previous paper to reflect your current writing and analytical abilities. Please include any research references in a bibliography. This paper can be uploaded with the online application.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better. Official sealed and stamped transcripts may be sent directly to the Graduate Admissions office at Box 5, 1000 LaSalle Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55403.
- A minimum of five English literature courses beyond the first year level with a grade of "B" or better.
Please note that taking a minimum of one class (3 credits) each semester qualifies degree seeking students for federal financial aid.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com.