Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Graduate Engineering Programs

When are applications accepted?

Applications for admission are accepted continuously throughout the entire year. When your application for admission is received, it is evaluated and you will be advised as to your status. Students may take up to six credits to complete admission requirements and be admitted to a degree program under graduate special enrollment rules. Students are responsible for having official transcripts sent directly from all undergraduate schools they have attended to the University of St. Thomas.

There is an application deadline each semester. This date is shown in the Registration Information web page for each semester.

The university operates on a semester basis:

  • Fall semester is September - December
  • J-Term is January
  • Spring semester is February - May
  • Summer semester is June and July

Must I complete the GRE before starting classes?
This may not be required. See an advisor.

Who do I talk to about the status of my application?

Contact Joyce Taylor
Grad Programs Manager

You may also contact one of the advisors so you can discuss your academic objectives and concerns more fully.

The following faculty serves as advisors:

Advisor for Master of Science in Technology Management and Manufacturing Systems, as well as Certificate programs:

Dr. John Fechter

Advisor for Master of Science degree in Systems Engineering:

Dr. Ed Jones

Advisor for Master of Science in Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Mechanical Engineering program:

Dr. John Abraham

Advisor for Master of Science in Regulatory Science program:

Dr. Frank Freedman
Phone: 651-962-5750

Dr. Don Weinkauf, Dean

How do I choose a degree plan?

Your advisor will work with you to choose a degree that is most suited to your situation. In addition, the plan will consider your career aspirations. It is expected that you will consult with an advisor during your first semester.

Do you offer electronic payments?

Yes. See eBilling for more information.

How do I get more information?

On line Information Request
Phone: 651-962-5756 or 800-328-6819 Ext. 2-5756.
FAX: 651-962-6419

School of Engineering
Mail OSS 100
2115 Summit Avenue
University of St. Thomas
Saint Paul, MN 55105-1079

Do I need a parking permit?

We strongly recommend getting a Parking Permit if you attend classes on the St. Paul or Minneapolis campuses. Off campus parking is limited and local parking regulations are strictly enforced!
Current parking permit information is available from UST Safety and Parking Services at 651-962-5100 or

How can I help the Undergraduate Engineering Program?

The department is very interested in identifying opportunities for internships, summer jobs, and engineers in industry that could serve as mentors. Please let Don Weinkauf know if you or your company can assist in developing future mechanical or electrical engineers. Thanks!

After classes began, my company wants to send me to California for six weeks! Or, the military has activated me! Now what do I do?

We recognize that the working adult has on-going responsibilities to family, country, job and community. The first step is to discuss your absence with your instructor. If the absence is to be an extended one, we can usually make accommodations such as giving you an "Incomplete" for the current semester and scheduling you to retake the course at a later date. Please discuss this with the Student Services coordinator at 651-962-5756 as soon as possible.