Ph.D. Syracuse University
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, 2008, Syracuse University
Wireless communications, sensor networks, intelligent systems, genetic algorithms, and multi-objective optimization
Ramesh’s research interests are in the areas of wireless communications, genetic algorithms, and sensor networks. His research proposed a new paradigm of multi-objective optimization for solving sensor network design problems. Multi-objective optimization has wide applications in a variety of real world problems such as target detection in sensor networks, routing protocols, evacuation planning, personnel deployment in emergency rescue operations, and indoor environment monitoring. Ramesh has developed innovative multi-objective optimization algorithms for many of these applications. His research has led to multiple conference and journal papers. He was awarded the graduate school Masters prize and the all university Doctoral prize at Syracuse University in recognition of his research and scholarship. Before joining Saint Thomas, Ramesh was a faculty member at Florida State University where he taught graduate and undergraduate courses in the areas of circuit theory, communications, computer networks, and electronics.
1. Engin Masazade, Ramesh Rajagopalan, Pramod K. Varshney, Chilukuri Mohan, Gullu Kiziltas Sendur, and Mehmet Keskinoz, “A Multi-objective Optimization Approach to Obtain Decision Thresholds for Distributed Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, to appear.
2. Ramesh Rajagopalan and Pramod K. Varshney, “Connectivity analysis of wireless sensor networks with regular topologies in the presence of channel fading,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, to appear.
3. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Chilukuri K. Mohan, Kishan Mehrota, and Pramod K. Varshney, “EMOCA: An Evolutionary multi-objective crowding algorithm,” Journal of Intelligent Systems, vol. 17, no.1-3, pp. 107-123, 2008.
4. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Kishan Mehrotra, Chilukri K. Mohan, and Pramod K. Varshney, “Hierarchical path computation approach for large graphs,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 44, no. 2, April 2008.
5. Ramesh Rajagopalan and Pramod K. Varshney, “Data aggregation techniques in sensor networks: A survey,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 8, no. 4, 4th Quarter 2006.
6. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Chilukuri K. Mohan, Kishan G. Mehrotra, and Pramod K. Varshney, “Multi-objective evolutionary algorithms for wireless sensor network design”, Multi-objective Optimization in Computational Intelligence: Theory and Practice, IGI Global, 2008, pp. 208-238.
7. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Ruixin Niu, Chilukuri Mohan, Pramod Varshney, and Andy Drozd, “Sensor placement algorithms for target localization in sensor networks,” Proceedings of the IEEE Radar Conference, May 2008.
8. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Pramod K. Varshney, Chilukuri K. Mohan, and Kishan Mehrotra, “Sensor placement for distributed detection of air pollutants: A constrained multi-objective optimization approach,” Proc. Cognitive Systems with Interactive sensors, Stanford University, CA, November 2007.
9. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Ruixin Niu, Chilukuri K. Mohan, Pramod K. Varshney, and Andy Drozd, “Sensor placement for ballistic missile localization using evolutionary algorithms,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2007.
10. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Chilukuri K. Mohan, Kishan Mehrotra, and Pramod K. Varshney, “An Evolutionary Multi-objective Crowding Algorithm (EMOCA): Benchmark Test Function Results,” Proc. 2nd Indian International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp.1488-1506, Pune, India, December 2005
11. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Pramod K. Varshney, Chilukuri K. Mohan and Kishan G. Mehrotra, “Sensor Placement for Energy Efficient Target Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks: A Multi-objective Optimization Approach,” 39th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, Baltimore, Maryland, March 2005.
12. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Pramod K. Varshney, Kishan G. Mehrotra, and Chilukuri K. Mohan, “Fault tolerant mobile agent routing in sensor networks: A multi-objective optimization approach,” 2nd IEEE Upstate NY Workshop on Communications and Networking, November 2005.
13. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Chilukuri K. Mohan, Pramod K. Varshney, and Kishan Mehrotra, “Multi-objective mobile agent routing in wireless sensor networks,” Proc. IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 2, pp.1730-1737, Edinburgh, Scotland, September 2005.
14. Ramesh Rajagopalan, Chilukuri K. Mohan, Kishan G. Mehrotra, and Pramod K. Varshney, “Evolutionary multi-objective crowding algorithm for path computations,” Proc. Fifth International Conference on Knowledge Based Computer Systems, Hyderabad, India, pp. 46-55, December 2004.