Emergency Loan Fund
The Student Emergency Loan and Food Program is a program administered by the Dean of Students. These loans are issued to qualified students at the University of St. Thomas for emergency situations. Loans will be issued only as long as funds are available in the program.
- Minimum loan amount is $100 - MAXIMUM of $700 per academic year (Sept.-Aug).
- Only one application may be submitted per semester.
- Processing may require approximately 1-2 business days.
- Applicants will be required to meet with the Dean of Students or designee prior to loan approval.
- Loan period to be determined prior to issuance of check (no more than 60 days).
- No annual interest will be charged on loans unless the loan is transferred to the student's account for collection (decision of the Dean of Students).
- Loans cannot be used to pay a student's St. Thomas bill.
Eligibility to apply
- Students currently enrolled as degree-seeking at the University of St. Thomas, with the exception of graduate female, law school, and international students. Separate loan funds are available to these students.
- Graduate female students call Dr. Barbara Shank at 651-962-5800.
- School of Law students call Nicole Fredricks Jackson at 651-962-4863.
- International students call Lori Friedman at 651-962-6650.
- Employees of the University of St. Thomas are not eligible for loans.
Criteria for Loans
- Student cannot have academic or financial holds on records.
- Student cannot be in default status with financial aid.
- Student must have verifiable means of repayment.
- Student must be able to demonstrate an unexpected financial emergency.
A financial emergency is defined as a situation where a student has no means of obtaining funds for the emergency situation; all avenues of seeking funds have been exhausted.
Examples of financial emergencies:
- A death in the family requiring travel
- Eviction from a housing situation
- Medical expenses (where payment is required before care can be provided)
- Loss of child care without payment
The following are not considered a financial emergency:
- Credit card bills
- Car payments
- Monthly rent payments where an eviction is not pending
How to Apply
Application forms are available in the Dean of Students Office (Room 241, Anderson Student Center). Students are required to meet with the Dean of Students or designee. Upon approval of the loan, checks may be picked up from the Accounts Payable Department during posted office hours (check processing may take an additional 1-2 days). Students will be required to present their student I.D. and one other valid picture I.D. (i.e., driver's license, passport) at the time of application and when picking up their check.
Madonna K. McDermott
Interim Dean of Students
Anderson Student Center
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.