In keeping with the solemnity of the occasion, graduates must wear University-issued academic regalia, including cap and gown. Only University-issued honor cords, medallions, and pins are approved for wear during the ceremony. Other oversized personal adornments, such as flower leis, hats, signs, ribbons, or scarves, are not acceptable.
- Jeans and flip-flops are not acceptable.
- Wear comfortable shoes with low heels. You will be walking a significant distance across artificial turf from the lineup area to your seat during the procession.
- The cap should be worn with the mortarboard parallel to the ground and without any additional modification to the appearance.
- Undergraduate candidates should wear the tassel on the right side. It is moved to the left side at the designated time.
- Graduate candidates should wear the tassel on the left side.
Be Weather Prepared
Come prepared with sunglasses, sunscreen, and/or rain ponchos/raincoats for the outdoor ceremony. Umbrellas are not permitted.
Cap and Gown
Once a student has been approved for graduation from the Registrar’s office, they may pick-up your cap and gown from the St. Paul Campus Store during Grad Fest 2017 on Wednesday, April 19 and Thursday, April 20 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Undergraduate Commencement Cap and Gown Information
All participants for the undergraduate commencement ceremony.
Where to Pick-Up
|The St. Paul Campus Store is located in the lower-level of Murray-Herrick on the St. Paul North Campus.|
|During Grad Fest on April 19 and April 20 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
If you are unable to attend Grad Fest, you can pick-up your cap, gown, and tassel(s) any time afterwards at the St. Paul Campus Store during store hours. View Store Hours.
What do I need to bring?
The St. Paul Campus Store will be hosting a Grad Fest on Wednesday, April 19 and Thursday, April 20 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the St. Paul Campus Store. Students may purchase graduation announcements at this time. If they choose, they can order personalized announcements here. Make sure to allow 5-7 days for shipping.
Diploma frames are available through the St. Paul and Minneapolis Campus Stores.
Tassels are included with your cap and gown. Additional tassels are available for purchase from the St. Thomas Campus Stores. The student’s major determines the tassel color. The colors are listed below.
For undergraduate students, tassels are worn on the right side of the mortarboard prior to commencement.
- Brown: Fine Arts
- Citron: Social Work
- Copper: Economics
- Crimson: Journalism
- Dark Blue: Philosophy
- Drab: Business
- Golden Yellow: Science
- Light Blue: Education
- Orange: Engineering
- Pink: Music
- Sage Green: Physical Education
- Salmon Pink: Public Health
- Scarlet: Theology, Peace and Justice
- White: Arts and Letters, Humanities, Catholic Studies