In keeping with the solemnity of the occasion, graduates must wear University-issued academic regalia, including cap and gown. Only University-issued honor cords, medallions, and pins are approved for wear during the ceremony. Other oversized personal adornments, such as flower leis, hats, signs, ribbons, or scarves, are not acceptable.
- Jeans and flip-flops are not acceptable.
- Wear comfortable shoes with low heels. You will be walking a significant distance across artificial turf from the lineup area to your seat during the procession.
- The cap should be worn with the mortarboard parallel to the ground and without any additional modification to the appearance.
- Undergraduate candidates should wear the tassel on the right side. It is moved to the left side at the designated time.
- Graduate candidates should wear the tassel on the left side.
Cap and Gown
Caps and gowns are provided by the university at no cost to graduates. They are yours to keep. Hoods, however, must be returned before leaving the St. Paul campus or purchased at the time of picking up your additional regalia. Learn more about hoods below.
You will need a picture ID when you pick up your cap and gown.
Where to pick-up your regalia
Masters and doctoral candidates will pick-up your regalia from the following locations based on your college or school:
Campus Store Location
|Minneapolis Campus||St. Paul Campus|
College or School
Dates to Pick-up
The Minneapolis Campus Store will distribute between May 1 - May 19 during store hours:
|The St. Paul Campus Store in the lower level of Murray-Herrick distribute caps and gowns during the following times:
Items to Bring
You will need a Picture ID when you pick up your regalia
*Note - For graduate candidates of Opus College of Business and the College of Education, Leadership and Counseling (CELC): Masters students will use the designated pick-up location you selected during your graduation application. Doctoral students will pick-up your regalia from the Minneapolis campus.
Announcements can be purchased at the St. Paul or Minneapolis Campus Stores after April 19.
Students can also order personalized announcements here. Make sure to allow 5-7 days for shipping.
Diploma frames are available through the St. Paul and Minneapolis Campus Stores.
Tassels are included in the cap and gown purchase. Additional tassels are available for purchase from the St. Thomas Campus Stores. The student’s major determine the tassel color. The colors are listed below.
For graduate students, tassels are worn on the left side of the mortarboard.
- Brown: Fine Arts
- Citron: Social Work
- Copper: Economics
- Crimson: Journalism
- Dark Blue: Philosophy
- Drab: Business
- Golden Yellow: Science
- Light Blue: Education
- Orange: Engineering
- Pink: Music
- Sage Green: Physical Education
- Salmon Pink: Public Health
- Scarlet: Theology, Peace and Justice
- White: Arts and Letters, Humanities, Catholic Studies
Graduate students will rent hoods for the day of the commencement ceremony and will need to be returned following the ceremony. If a student would like to purchase a hood, they may do so when picking up their cap and gown.
Hood return will be located in the lower quad or the Anderson Student Center, if the severe weather plan is invoked, following the ceremony. If a hood is not returned, the student will be charged the cost to replace it. Please return your hood before leaving the St. Paul campus.
The colors of hoods are listed below:
- Aqua: International Studies
- Citron: Social Work
- Dark Blue: Business Communication
- Dark Blue: Doctor of Counseling Psychology
- Gold: Software Design and Development
- Light Blue: Education, Doctor of Education, Counseling Psychology
- Light Brown: Business
- Orange: Manufacturing Engineering
- Scarlet: Theology, Doctor of Ministry
- White: Arts and Letters, English, Music, Catholic Studies