How to Become a Peer Minister!
Applications now available for 2015-2016 through the Student Leadership Selection Process.
Please visit the Student Leadership Selection website to learn more about how to apply for the Peer Minister position and other paid student leadership positions.
Who are Student Peer Ministers?
Student Peer Ministers are a team of undergraduate student leaders within Campus Ministry committed to the Gospel call to love and serve our neighbors. The primary responsibility of the Peer Minister is to live out the Gospel message through outreach to the student body by:
• Offering welcoming, guidance, compassion, and faith-filled support for their peers
• Providing a safe place for the soul to question, ponder, explore, grow, and develop
• Inviting students to opportunities for spiritual development and faith awareness through prayer, faith sharing, and religious and spiritual programs and activities
• Helping to build an inclusive and hospitable community
• Being available for listening and referral opportunities
• Empowering and engaging students to be leaders
Qualifications for Student Peer Minister position:
• Motivation to serve their peers out of heartfelt compassion and concern for God’s people
• Be a positive role-model and witness to a life of faith on and off campus
• Desire to grow in faith and/or discern a call to ministry
• Have completed 2 full semesters at the University of St. Thomas – preference given to Junior and Senior students
• Have on-campus living experience (preferred)
• Have maintained a GPA of at least 2.5 or above and be in good standing with the University
• Previous experience working in youth ministry or leadership position helpful but not required
Student Peer Ministers work 15-20 hours a week during the regular academic year (excluding school breaks) and receive compensation of a Shared Room and a Meal Plan in exchange for their service.
The Peer Ministry application process is part of St. Thomas’ Student Leadership Selection Process through Campus Life. Application materials for the 2015-2016 school year will be available here starting November 17.
General Application Timeline for Candidates:
November 17th, 2014– Applications open for both study abroad and non-study abroad candidates
December 10th, 2014 – Applications due for candidates studying abroad for the spring 2015 semester
December 15th, 2014—Interviews for study abroad applicants from 9:00am-1:00pm
February 11th, 2015– Application materials due for all other candidates
February 16th - 19th, 2015 – Initial Interviews for non-study abroad candidates
February 23rd - March 13th, 2015 – Final Interviews for all candidates (study abroad candidate interviews over phone or Skype)
March 24th, 2015 - Offers will be emailed to selected candidates
For more information about the program, contact the Coordinator for Peer Ministry, Whitney Anderson.