Club Service Guidelines
The University of St. Thomas has a strong commitment to promoting the values of social action and civic responsibility within its community. Community service is not only considered an act of compassion for others but ultimately as the registration of the common bond of humanity.
In support of this university value, the following revised guidelines are intended to aid student clubs/organizations in selecting their service projects:
- Each club/organization will serve 2 hours per member of the organization for each semester to be considered in good standing and eligible for general USG club funding, USG conference and Competition funds, and Club Sports funds.
- Required hours of service depend on the number of members registered by a club/organization with the Department of Campus Life and should be completed in the semester they are required as membership can vary from semester to semester.
- Students who are involved in multiple clubs must complete service hours for each club they are participating in. Service hours submitted for a club cannot carry over to another club.
- Service projects related to, sponsored by or involving alcohol will not be accepted.
- Any project that includes the collection of money, clothing, etc. as the service project will need to be pre-approved by Campus Life (approval should be a minimum of one week prior to beginning of project.)
- Projects that span two semesters need to meet required hours during both semesters and need to be preapproved by Campus Life.
- Service hours for BUS200 or any other academic credit may not be counted toward club service hour requirements.
Common service projects include neighborhood or community cleanups and volunteering at charitable organizations or events. Participating in walk/runs, personal time commitments (i.e. babysitting, working for a family member), or other paid opportunities do not count towards service hours. For example, volunteering at a 5K as support staff would count, whereas participating in a 5K would not.)
Register your club's service hours in Tommie Link. Need help? Watch this short video tutorial on adding service through Tommie Link.