Customize your program based on your experience.
Course waivers allow you to keep your MBA studies focused on your professional goals.
Academic credit is not awarded for any waived core course requirements, nor will the course appear on St. Thomas academic transcripts. If you waive a core course, you will have the opportunity to take additional elective credits.
The following core course requirements may not be waived: Business Ethics Foundations (BETH625), Competitive Strategy (MGMT625), and Leading Self and Others (MGMT603).
- Students who are Certified Public Accountants (CPA) may be waived from ACCT601 & BLAW625.
- Students who are Certified Management Accountants (CMA) may be waived from ACCT601.
- Students who have successfully completed at least one year of law school may be waived from BLAW625.
- Students who are APICS-CPIM certified may be waived from OPMT625.
Students with prior academic coursework that meet either of the following criteria may be waived from eligible core course requirements:
- Students with at least four (4) courses from a core discipline/functional area (e.g. a major or minor) may be waived from the corresponding core course requirement.
- Students with at least two (2) undergraduate courses OR one (1) graduate level course in a core course area may be waived from the corresponding core course requirement if all of the following conditions are met:
- The most recent course must have been completed within seven (7) years of the first term of enrollment.
- Course(s) must have been taken at an AACSB accredited international institution or a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
- A grade of B or better (3.0 or above) must have been achieved in the course(s)
If you do not meet the above criteria, waiver examinations are available during the first year of the program for certain core courses.
Acceptance of a core course waiver implies you accept the responsibility for having the essential knowledge and understanding of the core course material, and are properly prepared for any future core or elective course for which the waived course was a prerequisite.
Any petitions for exceptions to this waiver policy will be reviewed by the program director and the relevant department chair.