Frederick J. Wenzel
Executive Fellow/Adjunct Faculty : Management Department
Send an email
Frederick J. Wenzel was one of the founders of the Health Care UST MBA. His teaching interests are in health care systems, management, and leadership and strategy. His research interests are in these areas, as well as group practice governance and physician compensation. He is an honorary associate in the Office of the Dean at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, past visiting professor at the Graduate School of Business at the University of Colorado, past visiting professor at the School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin, and past visiting professor at the School of Medicine, Texas Tech University. He holds a B.S. from the University of Wisconsin Stevens Poin, an M.B.A. degree from the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business and is a fellow in the American College of Medical Practice Executives..
Wenzel was executive director of the Marshfield Clinic Research and Education Foundation for 16 years and then executive director of the Marshfield Clinic for 17 years. He is an emeritus member of the clinic's National Advisory Council. He was president and CEO of the Medical Group Management Association of Englewood, Col., from 1993-1996 and served on the Commission for Accreditation for Health Management Education, with two years as chair. Wenzel serves on the boards of the University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation (Madison, Wis.), Health Quality Partners (Doylestown, Pa., chair ), past member and chair of the board of the American Cancer Society Midwest Division, a board member of Fairview Physician Associates (Minneapolis) and a member of the board of directors of the Marshfield Clinic Health Care System (Marshfield, Wis.). He is on the Editorial Board of the journal Medical Practice Management. He has received many awards and recognitions from the following organizations: the Health Care UST MBA program, the University of Colorado College of Business, the Medical Group Management Association (Harwick Award and the Paper of the Year Award) , The University of Wisconsin Stevens Point (Distinguished Alumnus and the Lifetime Achievement Award) , the Directors Award from the Healthcare Financial Management Association, the St. George Award from the American Cancer Society and the Distinguished Service Award from Health Quality Partners.
Wenzel has authored or co-authored 100+ papers in addition to speaking at regional and national conferences, and has consulted with health care organizations throughout the country. He recently co-authored The Future of Healthcare Leadership Competencies. and wrote and edited a book with Jane M Wenzel, Ph.D., entitled Fundamentals of Physician Practice Management in 2005.more
B.S., biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point
M.B.A., University of Chicago
- Distance learning
- Governance in health care organizations
- Healthcare leadership and management
- Managed care and health insurance
- Core competencies of health care business leaders
- Distance learning
- Physician leadership
- Wenzel, Frederick and J. M. Wenzell. Fundamentals of Physician Practice Management. Health Administration Press, 2005.
- Wenzel, Frederick, J. W. Mitylng and D. M. Francis, "Leaders As Combat Fighter Pilots: Research Project Targets Leaders who Support Money- Losing Business Strategies," Physician Executive 27:6 (November/December, 2001): 30(4).
- Wenzel, Frederick, A. Ross and J. W. Mitylng. Leadership for the Future: Core Competencies in Health Care. Health Administration Press, 2001.
- Wenzel, Frederick and J. W. Mitlyng, "It Takes More than Money," Medical Group Management Journal 46:2 (March/April, 1999): 30-38, .
- "Leadership and Management Education for Physicians: Exploring the Options," Plastic Surgery News Practice Management Resource Guide (1998): 27-28.
- "Managed Care in Ambulatory Care Organization and Management." In Ambulatory Care Management, 3rd edition, edited by Ross, Williams, Pavlock and Todd. Delamar Publishers, Inc., 1998.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- Distinguished Member Of the Medical Group Management Association,Englewood Colorado, 2013
- Heritage Award for outstanding contributions to healthcare, 2013
- Distinguished alumnus of the year, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point College of Letters and Science, 2001
- Innovation in teaching excellence award, University of St. Thomas, 1999
- Award of merit, Wisconsin Vocational Association, 1999
- Article of the year award, Medical Group Management Association, 1989