John T. Wendt
Associate Professor : Ethics and Business Law Department
Send an email
John Wendt has been actively teaching law for more than 25 years at the University of St. Thomas, the University of Minnesota, the University of Wisconsin, the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System and Hamline University School of Law.
A member of the Ethics and Business Law Department, Wendt serves on the panel of arbitrators for the American Arbitration Association, the AAA LPGA Special Anti-Doping Panel, the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) Special Anti-Doping Panel, the Special AAA Panel for United States Olympic Committee Disputes, and has been appointed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland. He also served on the American Bar Association and Minnesota State Bar Association boards and committees on Legal Education. He has also been inducted into the University of Minnesota Aquatics Hall of Fame.more
B.A., humanities, Summa Cum Laude, University of Minnesota
M.A., American studies, University of Minnesota
J.D., William Mitchell College of Law
- Sports and entertainment law
- Sports arbitration
- Olympics policies and business
- Non-compete agreements
- Doping and performance enhancement abuse in sports
- Risk management in sports
- Olympic and international sports arbitration
- Non-compete agreements
- Teaching and student assessment
- Law and popular culture
- “Toward Harmonization: British Olympic Association v. The World Anti-Doping Association,” Marquette Sports Law Review 23:1 (2012):154–169.
- “The Road to the London 2012 Olympic Games, ‘The Selection Games,’” Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, American Bar Association, Forum Committee on the Entertainment and Sports Industries 30:3 In press.
- Miller, John J. and John T. Wendt, "The Lack of Risk Communication at an Elite Sports Event: A Case Study of the FINA 10 K Marathon Swimming World Cup," International Journal of Sport Communication 5 (2012): 265-278.
- Wendt, John T. and John J. Miller, "Tragedy at Fujairah: Risk management and legal issues on the death of Fran Crippen," University of Denver Sports and Entertainment Law Journal 12 (2012): 71-101.
- Wendt, John T. and Peter C. Young, "Reputational Risk and Social Media," University of Mississippi Sports Law Review 1:1 (2011): 97-126.
- "The FEI and the Continuing Fight against Doping in Equestrian Sport," The International Sports Law Journal 3:4 (2011).
- Miller, J. J., J. T. Wendt, and N. Potter, "Implications for concussion assessments and return-to-play standards in intercollegiate football: How are the risks managed?" Journal of Sport Administration & Supervision 3:1 (2011).
- Miller, J. J., J. T. Wendt, and N. Potter, Whitepaper: "Heat-related illness in interscholastic football: What coaches and athletic administrators need to understand," Journal of Contemporary Athletics 6:2 (2011).
- "The Need for WADA to address Confidentiality Leaks in Drug Testing in Olympic Sports: The Ian Thorpe Situation," The International Sports Law Journal 3:4 (2010): 47-54.
- "The Road to Vancouver: Issues at the XXI Olympic Winter Games," Entertainment and Sports Lawyer 28:1 (2010): 3-10.
- Miller, John J., John T. Wendt, and Peter C. Young, "Fourth Amendment considerations and application of risk management principles for pat-down searches at professional football games," Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport 20:2 (2010): 108-134.
- "The Crisis of Doping in Equestrian Sport," Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, American Bar Association, Forum Committee on the Entertainment and Sports Industries 27:3 (2009).
- "The Road to Beijing and Beyond: A Time of Transition in the War on Doping," Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, American Bar Association, Forum Committee on the Entertainment and Sports Industries 26:4 (2009).
- Wendt, J., J. J. Miller and S. Kern, "Steroid Use in Interscholastic Athletics: Is There Reasonable Suspicion?" Journal of Contemporary Athletes 3:2 (2008): 111-128.
- Wendt, John and Michael J. Garrison, "The Evolving Law of Employee Non-Competes: Recent Trends and an Alternative Policy Approach," American Business Law Journal 45:1 (2008): 107-186.
- Wendt, J., J. J. Miller and T. Seidler, "Tackling Steroid Abuse in Interscholastic Athletics: Perceptions of Athletic Directors," International Journal of Sport Management 9:2 (2008): 117-133.
- Wendt, J., K. Combs, S. Gibson, J. Hays and J. Saly, "Enhancing Curriculum and Delivery: Linking Assessment to Learning Objectives," Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education 33:1 (February, 2008).
- Wendt, John and John J. Miller, "Interscholastic Athletic Directors Perceptions of Steroid Use: A State Study," Journal of Contemporary Athletics 2:3 (2006).
- "The 2006 Olympic Games - Adventures in Torino," Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, American Bar Association, Forum Committee on the Entertainment and Sports Inudstries 24:1 (Spring, 2006).
Significant Scholarly Honors
- University of St. Thomas Professor of the Year Award Nominee, 2011
- Opus College of Business Julie Hays Outstanding Teacher Award Nominee, 2010, 2011, and 2012
- Opus College of Business Susan E. Heckler Research Excellence AwardNominee, 2012 and 2013
- Appointed by Governor Mark Dayton to the Minnesota Amateur Sports Commission, 2012-Present
- Department of Ethics and Business Law “Above and Beyond” Service Award, 2010, 2011, and 2012
- University of Minnesota Aquatics Hall of Fame, 2007
- Outstanding Faculty and Keynote Speaker as selected by the Accounting MBA Graduate Students and 10-Year Anniversary, 2002
- Dedicated Service Award, University of St. Thomas Graduate School of Business, 1999
- Accounting MBA Faculty Award, University of St. Thomas, 1998
- Business Excellence Award for Innovation in Teaching, University of St. Thomas, 1997
- Alumni of Notable Achievement Award, University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts, 1997
- "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubble, the highest available ranking by Martindale-Hubble
- 20 Year AV Anniversary Award, Martindale-Hubble, 2012
- Governor's Certificate of Commendation for Service to the State of Minnesota, 1987
- Top Ten Announcers in the United States by Splash Magazine, the official publication of USA Swimming, Inc., 2000
- De La Salle High School Centennial Award (10 Minnesota State Championships in Swimming, Diving and Water Polo) 2000
- Outstanding Coach Award, University of Minnesota Department of Recreation Sports, 1988
- Minnesota High School Water Polo Association Coach of the Year, 1973, 1974, 1979
Current Community Relationships
- Member, International Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Member, North American Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Member, American Arbitration Association Olympic Disputes Panel
- Member, Ladies Professional Golf Association Special Anti-Doping Panel
- Member, World Triathlon Corporation Special Arbitration Panel
- Member, Minnesota Amateur Sports Commission
- Advisory Board Member, Century College Sports Facilities Management