John J. Sailors
Associate Professor : Marketing Department
Send an email
John J. Sailors joined the Opus College of Business faculty in 2005, where he has taught undergraduate, Evening UST MBA and Full-time UST MBA classes in marketing management, consumer behavior, marketing research and applied business research. His applied business research class is a cornerstone of the Full-time UST MBA program and is the program's primary academic vehicle for providing experiential learning. From 2007 to 2012, 60 external organizations, as well as 12 different units within the University of St. Thomas, have benefited from partnering with Sailors and his students in that class. Sailors has prior teaching experience at Oakland University and the University of Michigan. He also has professional experience in marketing research on the supplier side, designing and leading projects on consumer satisfaction and loyalty, market segmentation and brand equity for clients such as Proctor & Gamble, The Ford Motor Company, Harley Davidson, PG&E, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Burger King and Caterpillar Financial.
In addition to his interests in applied research, Sailors conducts scholarly research about how consumers perceive and process market place information, influences and biases in those processes, and how those processes influence purchase and consumption behavior. Outside of consumer behavior issues, he has studied ethics in multinational contexts and mediation of strategic management processes on the link between business competencies and firm performance.
Sailors serves as a reviewer for many marketing publications and conferences and belongs to the American Marketing Association, the Association for Consumer Research and the Society for Consumer Psychology. He is a founding board member of the Minnesota School of Science, a charter school serving the north side of Minneapolis since 2011.
Sailors earned his B.B.A. from the University of Michigan and his Ph.D in marketing from Northwestern University.more
B.B.A., University of Michigan
Ph.D., Northwestern University
- Consumer behavior
- Brand equity
- Brand loyalty
- Marketing research
- Brand architecture
- Drivers of retailer share of wallet
- Latent class segmentation methods
- Retailer equity
- Alexander, David, John J. Sailors, Jamal A. Al-Khatib, Mohammed I. Al-Habib, "The Effect of Near-vs-Distant-Future Mindsets on Socially Responsible Investors' Mutual Fund Preferences," Journal Of Financial Services Marketing 17:1 (2012): 67-79.
- Sailors, John J. and James Heyman, "Compound Anchors and Their Subsequent Effect onJudgments," American Behavioral Scientist 55:8 (2011): 1035-1051.
- Al-Khatib, Jamal, Avinash Malshe, John J. Sailors and Irvine Clark, "The Impact of Deceitful Tendencies, Relativism and Opportunism on the Negotiation Tactics of US and Belgian Managers," European Journal of Marketing 45:12 (2011): 133-152.
- Heyman, James E. and John J. Sailors, "Peer Assessment of Class Participation: Applying Peer Nomination to Overcome Rating Inflation," Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education (2010).
- Malshe, Avinash, Jamal Al-Khatib and John J. Sailors, "Business to Business Negotiations: The Role of Relativism, Deceit, and Opportunism," Journal of Business to Business Marketing 17:2 (2010): 173-207.
- Militello, Jack, John J. Sailors and Mick Sheppeck, "The Equifinality of Success in the Operational Excellence Market Discipline," Journal of Business and Behavioral Sciences 22:1 (2010): 2-24.
- "Preventing Childhood Obesity by Persuading Mothers to Breastfeed: Matching Appeal Type to Personality." In Leveraging Consumer Psychology for Effective Health Communications: The Obesity Challenge, edited by Rajeev Batra, Punam Anand Keller and Victor J. Strecher, Chapter 13. Armonk, N.Y.: M.E.Sharpe, 2010.
- Sailors, John J. and B. Calder, "The Product Stereotype Effect." Under review.
- “A Facet Model of Full-time MBA Student Satisfaction: Program Elements and Outcomes.” Paper presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada, 2010.
- “Marketing Decision Support Systems and Firm Performance in the Middle East.” Paper presented at the Marketing Dynamics Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 2010.
- “Spending Intentions Across Consumer Shopping Style Clusters at the Beginning of the Economic Downturn.” Paper presented at the European Institute of Retailing and Service Studies Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, June 2010.
- “Findings That Challenge Current Alignment Models.” Paper presented at the American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, 2009.
- “Preventing Childhood Obesity by Persuading Mothers to Breastfeed: Matching Appeal Type to Personality.” Paper presented at the Advertising and Consumer Psychology Conference, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2009.