Adjunct Faculty : Marketing Department
Send an email
Before becoming the director of the UST MBC program in 2008, Porter spent more than 25 years working in business, consulting, marketing and communications. He has participated in the creation and implementation of a broad spectrum of successful strategies and tactics both domestically and internationally. As a consultant, Porter’s expertise has been applied to the needs of many organizations, including: Tennant Company; Net Perceptions, Inc.; RTW, Inc.; Cargill Intellectual Capital Group; Ontrack Data International, Inc.; Minnesota Technology, Inc.; Visum Healthcare; Campus Media Group; Horton, Inc.; Minnesota High Tech Association; City of Elk River; SAI Advertising; Textbook Media; Spider Technologies; Qwik-keyz and others.
In addition to a doctorate in leadership, policy and administration from the University of St. Thomas, Porter holds an M.B.A. in marketing from the University of St. Thomas and a B.S. in mass communication from Bemidji State University. He is also an accredited member of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) and presently serves as the ethics officer for the Minnesota chapter. Porter has served as adjunct faculty in the Opus College of Business since 2006; taught doctoral students in the College of Applied Professional Studies at the University of St. Thomas; and been an adjunct in the Mass Communications Department at St. Cloud State University.
Academic engagement has included presentation of papers at: 2012 Midwest Sociological Society Conference – Minneapolis; 2012 Association of Business Communication Southwest regional conference - New Orleans; 77th Annual Association of Business Communication Annual Conference (2012) – Honolulu; and the 2010 Academy of Management annual meeting - Montreal. Porter also served as coordinator and committee member on the Midwest Qualitative Research Conference from 2005-2007.
Porter’s service has also included: co-founder, VP marketing and board secretary for Adesso Technologies; on the advisory boards of Internet Exposure (an Internet development firm) and Quirk’s Publishing (a family-owned marketing research focused media organization); on the board of the American Association of Microbusinesses; as a charter board and executive committee member for his nonprofit client Partners for Violence Prevention (for whom his communications work won the governor’s Minnesota Peace Prize); on the board of the Automotive Public Relations Council (as a member and vice president); the Minnesota PRSA board of directors; the Marketing Communications Committee for the Minnesota High Tech Association; as co-founder and board member of Frontline Forum for Technology Sales and Marketing; and the Marketing Committee and Campaign Cabinet for the Minneapolis United Way.more
B.S., mass communications, Bemidji State University
M.B.A., marketing, University of St. Thomas
Ed.D., leadership, policy & administration, University of St. Thomas
APR – Public Relations Society of America
Business/marketing communications/new media
- Porter, M. and M. Spriggs, “Informal Private Equity Investment Networks: The Role of the Nexus Angel,” Journal of Private Equity 16:3 (Summer 2013):45-56.
- “Anti-social Media: Executive Twitter “Engagement” and attitudes about Media Credibility.” Paper presented at the Opus College of Business Faculty Research Symposium, Poster Session, Minneapolis, Minnesota, April 19, 2013.
- "A Pedagogy for Developing Communication Advisors for Senior Managers: 25 Years of a Master of Business Communication (MBC) Program." Paper presented at the Association for Business Communication, Honolulu, Hawaii, October 25, 2012.
- "’Archangels’ of Private Equity: An Exploratory Model for how Investors and Entrepreneurs Interact." Paper presented at the Midwest Sociological Society, Minneapolis, Minnesota, March 2012.
- "’Archangels’ of Private Equity: Exploring the role of ’gift exchange’ rituals in investor presentations” and “Valued business ’intelligence’: A case for examining senior management perceptions of media vs. interpersonal information sources." Paper presented at the Southwest Association of Business Communication, New Orleans, Lousiana, February 2012.
"Mapping Heavenly Movements: Defining Angel Investor Profiles and Charting Critical Investment "Rituals" in a Network-Mediated Exchange." Paper presented at the annual conference of the Academy of Management, Montreal, Canada, 2010.
- Over 25 years experience marketing, communications, management.
- 15-plus years consulting technology, manufacturing and B-to-B.
- Serial entrepreneur
Current Advisory Board Positions
Dom Technologies, Inc., 2012–Present
Qwik-keyz, LLC, 2012–Present
Quirk's Publishing Company, 2009-Present