Sunil K. Mohanty
Professor : Finance Department
Send an email
B.Tech. (Hons) civil engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (India)
M.B.A., Minnesota State University - Mankato
D.B.A., finance, Cleveland State University
- Financial institutions and markets
- Asset pricing
- International banking
- Regulations of credit unions and commercial banks
- Deregulation, competition, and U.S. banking industry performance
- International capital standards - Basel III, bank portfolios and bank stock risk
- Lending activities of foreign banks in the U.S.
- Capital Structure Decisions
- Cost and profit efficiencies of banks
- Oil Price Shocks and Stock Prices
- Mohanty, Sunil, Aigbe Akhigbe, T. Al-Khyal and Turki. Bugshan, “Oil and Stock Market Activity When Prices Go Up and Down: The Case of the Oil and Gas Industry," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 2012, forthcoming.
- Aggarwal, Raj, Aigbe Akhibe, and Sunil Mohanty, “Oil Price Shocks and Transportation Firm Asset Prices,” Energy Economics 34:5 (2012): 1370-1379.
- Mohanty, Sunil and Mohan Nandha, “Oil Risk Exposure: The Case of the U.S. Oil and Gas Sector,” Financial Review 46:1 (2011): 165-191.
- Mohanty, Sunil, Mohan Nandha, A. Turkistani and Y. Alaitani, “Oil Price Movements and Stock Market Returns: Evidence from Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Countries,” Global Finance Journal 22:1 (2011): 42-55.
- Yildirim, S. and Sunil Mohanty, "Geographical Deregulation and Competition in the U.S. Banking Industry" Financial Markets Institutions and Instruments 19:2 (2010): 63-94.
- Mohanty, Sunil, Mohan Nandha and Gabor Bota, "Oil Shocks and Stock Returns: The Case of the Central and Eastern European (CEE) Oil and Gas Sector," Emerging Markets Review (Elsevier) 11 (2010): 358-372.
- Aggarwal, R., B. Lucey and Sunil Mohanty, "The Forward Exchange Rate Bias Puzzle is Persistent: Evidence from Stochastic and Nonparametric Cointegration Test," Financial Review 44:4 (2009): 625-645.
- Aggarwal, Raj, Winston T. Lin and Sunil Mohanty, "Are Forward Exchange Rates Rational Forecasts of Future Spot Rates? An Improved Econometric Analysis for the Major Currencies," Multinational Finance Journal 12 (March/June, 2008): 1-20.
- Rai, A., R. Seth, and Sunil Mohanty, "The Impact of Discount Rate Changes on Market Interest Rates: Evidence from three European Countries and Japan," International Journal of Money and Finance 26 (2007): 905-923.
- Mohanty, Sunil and Edward Aw, "Rationality of Analysts’ Earnings Forecasts: Evidence from DOW 30 Companies," Applied Financial Economics 16:12 (2006): 915-926.
- "International Capital Standards, Bank Portfolios and Bank Stock Risk," Applied Financial Economics 12 (2002): 527-534.
- Aggarwal, Raj and Sunil Mohanty, "Rationality of Japanese Macroeconomic Survey Forecasts: Empirical Evidence and Comparisons with the U.S.," Japan and the World Economy 12:1 (2000): 21-31.
- Seth, R., D.E. Nolle and Sunil Mohanty, "Do Banks Follow Their Customers Abroad?" Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments 7:4 (August, 1998): 1-25.
- Liang, Y., Sunil Mohanty and F. Song, "Impact of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Improvement Act (FDICIA) of 1991 on Bank Stocks," The Journal of Financial Research 19:2 (Summer, 1996): 229-242.
- Aggarwal, R., Sunil Mohanty and F. Song, "Are Survey Forecasts of Macroeconomic Variables Rational?" The Journal of Business 68:1 (January, 1995): 99-119.
- Wall, Larry D., Alan K. Reichert and Sunil Mohanty, "Deregulation and the Opportunities for Commercial Bank Diversification," Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta Economic Review 78:5 (1993): 1-25. Reprinted in the Readings on Financial Institutions and Markets, edited by Peter S. Rose, (1995-1996): 97-121.
- Reichert, Alan K., Mike Small and Sunil Mohanty, "The Impact of Landfills on Residential Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research 7:3 (1992): 97-314.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- Track Chair, Eastern Finance Association Meeting, 2012 (Financial Institutions)
- University Scholar, University of St. Thomas
- Fulbright Scholar
- Visiting Research Scholar
Editorial Board Membership
- Advances in Financial Planning and Forecasting
- European Research Studies Journal