Professor : Ethics and Business Law Department
Send an email
Daryl Koehn joined the UST Opus College of Business faculty in 2010. She served for 12 years as the director of the Center for Business Ethics at the University of St. Thomas in Houston, TX. She has taught at the University of Chicago, Oxford University and DePaul University. In 2012, she received the Susan E. Heckler Research Excellence Award given each year to the outstanding researcher in the Opus College of Business. In 2010, she received the Outstanding Professor of the Year teaching award; in 2008, she was awarded the Outstanding Researcher of the Year award.
Koehn's current research focuses on CEO apologies and corporate governance and the relationship between aesthetics and ethics. She has published extensively on the subject of trustworthiness and integrity.
She regularly consults with boards of directors regarding ethics and compliance issues and does mission-driven consulting for Catholic institutions. She serves on the integrity and compliance committee of a major multinational company and has been on the board of advisors of several nonprofit organizations.more
B.A., philosophy, University of Chicago
M.A., economics, Oxford University
M.A., philosophy, University of Chicago
M.B.A., Northwestern University
Ph.D., philosophy, University of Chicago
- Applied ethics
- Professional ethics
- Corporate governance
- Virtue ethics
- Ethics of economics
- Corporate governance
- Ethics of micro-finance
- Nature of integrity
- Aesthetic dimensions of ethical behavior
- Co-editor with Dawn Elm, "The Artist and the Ethicist: Character and Process," Aesthetics and Business Ethics, Vol. 41. London: Springer, 2013.
- Koehn, Daryl and Barry Wilbratte, "A Defense of a Thomistic Concept of the Just Price," Business Ethics Quarterly 22:3 (2012): 501-526.
- Editor. Business Ethics: Practices and Issues. Co-edited with Xiaohe Lu. Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, due out in 2011.
- Editor. Business Ethics in China. Co-edited with Lu Xiaohe, Shanghai: Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, due out in late 2010.
- Living with the Dragon: Thinking and Acting Ethically in a World of Unintended Consequences. New York: Routledge, 2010.
- "Ethics, Morality, & Art in the Classroom: Positive & Negative Relations," Journal of Business Ethics 7 (2010): 213-232.
- Koehn, Daryl and Xiaohe Lu. FUDA-SASS International Forum: Business, Ethics and Society Lectures. Shanghai: Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, 2010.
- Koehn, Daryl and Joe Ueng, "Corporate Governance Metrics for Asian Companies: Are They Reliable Indicators of Corporate Performance?" International Journal of Business Governance and Ethics 5:4 (October, 2010): 241-260.
- Koehn, Daryl and Joe Ueng, "Is Philanthropy Being Used by Corporate Wrongdoers to Buy Good Will?" Journal of Management and Governance 14:1 (2010): 1-16.
- Koehn, Daryl, R. W. Wolfe and J. Meade, "Revitalizing Snow Brand Milk," Business Ethics Research Center Journal 60 (October, 2010).
- The Nature of Evil. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2005.
- Editor. Business Ethics, Corporate Governance & an Harmonious Society. Co-edited with Lu Xiaohe. Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, 2005.
- Local Insights, Global Ethics. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2001.
- Editor. "Corporate Governance: Ethics Across the Board," 2000.
- Rethinking Feminist Ethics: Care, Trust, Empathy. London: Routledge Press, 1998.
- Editor. "Trust in Business: Barriers and Bridges," Special Volume of Journal of Business and Professional Ethics 16:1/2/3 (Spring-Summer-Fall, 1997).
- The Ground of Professional Ethics. London: Routledge Press, 1994.