Associate Professor : Finance Department
Send an email
B.S., natural resources, University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.S., finance, University of Wyoming
M.B.A., real estate investment analysis, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Ph.D., urban land economics, University of Wisconsin
- Non-traded public real estate investment trusts
- Public utility valuation
- Complex property valuation
- Real estate market and feasibility analysis
- Real estate investment analysis
- Sustainable real estate costs and benefits
- Interdependency of capital markets and real estate markets
- Capitalization rate decomposition
- Direct capitalization and income valuation modeling
- Non-random sampling issues in hedonic valuation models
- Income adjustments in direct capitalization approaches
- “Ensuring Equity in Property Taxation and Administration,” Journal of Property Tax Assessment and Administration, 8:1 (2011): 5-29.
- “Real Estate Market Dynamics during Capital Market Imbalances,” Journal of Property Investment and Finance, 29:4/5 (2011): 359-371.
- “Appraising Leased Assets: A Needed Correction to WSATA Procedures,” Real Estate Journal, 25:9 (2009): 212-220.
- “Use of the Income Approach in Valuing a Sand and Gravel Property in a Condemnation Proceeding,” Real Estate Issues, 34:2 (2009): 35-40.
- “Accounting for Operating Leases in the Unit Valuation Approach,” Journal of Property Tax Assessment and Administration, 4:3 (2008): 25-35.
- “Partitioning Capitalization Rates: The Case of Operating Leases in the Unitary Valuation Method,” Appraisal Journal, 75:2 (2007) 146-155.
- “Appraising Leased Assets in the Unitary Valuation/Assessment Process,” Real Estate Tax Management Journal 23:12 (2007): 304-310.
- “Smart Growth and New Urbanism Development.” Presented a paper at the 20th Annual Real Estate Institute-Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, November, 2002.
- “Real Estate Market Segmentation: Empirical Results,” Assessment Journal 5:3 (1998): 52-72.
- “Testing for Vertical Inequity in Property Tax Systems,” The Journal of Real Estate Research, 5:3 (1990): 319-334.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- Admitted to the Counselors of Real Estate (# 12470)
- Elected, Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (# 1257146)
- Grant recipient, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy (2000, 2001, & 2002)
- Two-time recipient of the Distinguished Research and Development Award, International Association of Assessing Officers (1991 and 1992)
Current Community Relationships
- Faculty Liaison, UST Real Estate Advisory Board
- Licensed Real Estate Broker (Minnesota)
- Licensed Real Estate Appraiser (Minnesota)
- Past Chapter Chairman, Counsolors of Real Estate - Minnesota Chapter