Assistant Professor : Finance Department
Send an email
Dobrina Georgieva received her Ph.D. in finance from the University of Arkansas. Her work has been presented at national and international finance conferences, including Financial Management Association, Eastern Finance Association, Midwest Finance Association and Southern Finance Association, as well as several finance research seminars around the country.
Georgieva’s research and teaching interests include corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, international finance and development, regulation of capital markets and the impact of law and culture on global contracts. Her work has been published in leading finance journals such as Journal of International Financial Markets and Institutions and Money and Journal of Multinational Financial Management. Her corporate experience is in the field of health care management.
Georgieva holds master’s degree in engineering from the University of Chemical Engineering and Metallurgy in Sofia, Bulgaria, where she won the best engineering student award. In addition, she holds an M.B.A. degree from the University of Montana, where she won the outstanding female foreign student award.
Georgieva is fluent in Bulgarian and English, with a working knowledge of Russian and Czech.more
M.S., University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, Sofia, Bulgaria
M.B.A., University of Montana
Ph.D., finance, University of Arkansas
- Corporate finance
- International finance and governance
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Agency theory
- Alternative methods of convergence toward U.S. market and legal regulations
- SOX and cross-listing
- The impact of formal and informal institutions on cross-border joint ventures
- Determinants of bidder and target identity in cross-border mergers
- Baxamusa, M. and D. Georgieva, "Two-Step Acquisitions and Liquidity Spread," Journal of Economics and Finance, forthcoming.
- Georgieva, D. and T. Jandik, "Alternative Methods of Convergence toward U.S. Market and Legal Regulations: Cross-listing vs. Merging with U.S. Bidders," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, 22:5 (2012): 230-251.
- Georgieva, D., T. Jandik, and W. Lee, "The impact of laws, regulations, and culture on cross-border joint ventures," Journal of International Financial Markets, Money and Institutions 22:4 (2012): 774-795.
- Daugherty, Mary Schmid and Dobrina Georgieva, "Foreign Cultures, Sarbanes-Oxley Act and Cross-Delistings," Journal of Multinational Financial Management 21, 4 (2011): 208-223.
- "Does Sarbanes-Oxley Act Chase away Foreign Firms? Evidence from ADR Terminations," Journal of International Business Research 8:2 (2009): 115-149.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- Best Engineering Student Award (Eureka Foundation Scholarship)
- Oustanding Female Foreign Student Award (University of Montana)
- Sam Walton Doctoral Fellowship (University of Arkansas)
- Summer Research Grants (University of Arkansas)