Director, Morrison Center for Entrepreneurship; Schulze Chair of Entrepreneurship : Entrepreneurship Department
Send an email
He was awarded the NASDAQ Fellowship in Capital Formation and was a named research fellow at Stockholm School of Entrepreneurship. In 2007, Deeds was awarded the Haniel Fellowship in Entrepreneurship at Humboldt University in Berlin, Germany. His current research interests include new venture growth and adaptation, technological discontinuities and technology commercialization. Prior to becoming an academic, Deeds was co-founder and president of LightSpeed Corporation. more
B.A., Economics and Political Science, Claremont McKenna College
M.B.A., Strategic Management, University of Washington
Ph.D., Business Administration, University of Washington
- Strategic alliances
- Entrepreneurial strategy
- Technology commercialization
- Technology and innovation management
- Strategic alliances and new venture performance
- Angel investors
- Legitimacy and institutional pressures in emerging industries
Spriggs, Mark, Andy Yu, David L. Deeds and Ritch Sorenson, "Too many cooks in the kitchen: Innovation capacity, collaborative network orientation, and performance in small family businesses," Family Business Review 26:1 (2013): 32-50.
- Deeds, David L. and Lívia Markóczy, "Theory Building at the Intersection: Recipe for Impact or Road to Nowhere?" Journal of Management Studies 46:6 (2009): 1076-1088.
- Deeds, David L., Holger Patzelt, Dean A. Shepherd and Steven W. Bradley, "Financial Slack and Venture Managers' Decisions to Deek a New Alliance," Journal of Business Venturing 23:4 (2008): 465-481.
- Yamakawa, Yasuhiro, Mike W. Peng and David L. Deeds, "What Drives New Ventures to Internationalize From Emerging Economies to Developed Economies?" Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice 32:1 (January, 2008).
- Deeds, David L. and Irem Demirkan, "Research Collaboration Networks and Innovation Output," Academy of Management Proceedings (2007): 1-6.
Coombs, Joseph, Shreeram Mudambi and David L. Deeds, "An Examination of the Antecedents of Equity and Non-Equity Investments in US Biotechnology Firms by Foreign and Domestic Corporate Partners," The Journal of Business Venturing 21:4 (July, 2006).
Deeds, David L. and Frank T. Rothaermel, "Alliance Type, Alliance Experience and Alliance Management Capability in High-Technology Ventures," Journal of Business Venturing 21:4 (2006): 429-460.
Deeds, David L., William S. Schulze and Reiko Kishida, "An Analysis of New Venture Performance: Linking Product Innovation and Legitimation," Academy of Management Proceedings (2005): N1-N6.
"Increasing the Rate of New Venture Creation: Does Location Matter?" The Academy of Management Executive 18:2 (2004): 152-154.
Deeds, David L., Paul Mang and Mike Frandsen, "The Impact of Industry and Organizational Legitimacy on the Flow of Capital Into High Technology New Ventures," Strategic Organization 2:1 (February, 2004).
Rothaermel, Frank and David L. Deeds, "Exploration and Exploitation Alliances in Biotechnology: A System of New Product Development," The Strategic Management Journal 25:3 (March, 2004).
Deeds, David L. and Frank T. Rothaermel, "Honeymoons and Liabilities: The Relationship between Age and Performance in Research and Development Alliances," Journal of Product Innovation Management 20 (2003): 468-484.
"Contrarian Thinking: Extra! Extra!" The Whole New Business Catalog 24:9 (2002): 110-112.
"The Role of R&D Intensity, Technical Development and Absorptive Capacity in Creating Entrepreneurial Wealth in High Technology Start-Ups," Journal of Engineering and Technology Management 18:1 (2001): 29-47.
Deeds, David L. and Todd A. Finkle, "Trends in the Market for Entrepreneurship Faculty, 1989-1998," Journal of Business Venturing 16:6 (2001): 613-630.
Deeds, David L. and Frank T. Rothaermel, "More Good Things are not Necessarily Better: An Empirical Study of Strategic Alliances, Experience Effects, and Innovative Output in High-Techology Start-ups." In Creating Value: Winners in the New Business Environment, edited by M.A. Hitt, R. Amit, C. Lucier and R. D. Nixon, 85-103. Oxford: Blackwell, 2001.
Deeds, David L. and Joseph Coombs, "International Alliances as Sources of Capital: Evidence from the Biotechnology Industry," The Journal of High Technology Management Research 11:2 (2000): 235-253.
Deeds, David L., Donna DeCarolis and Joseph Coombs, "Dynamic Capabilities and New Product Development in High Technology Ventures: An Empirical Analysis of New Biotechnology Firms," Journal of Business Venturing 15:3 (2000): 211-229.
Deeds, David L. and Donna DeCarolis, "The Impact of Stocks and Flows of Organizational Knowledge on Firm Performance: an empirical investigation of the biotechnology industry," The Strategic Management Journal 20:10 (October, 1999): 953-968.
Deeds, David L. and Charles W. L. Hill, "An Examination of Social Embeddedness as a Deterrent to Opportunistic Action in a Research Alliance," Journal of Business Venturing, 14:2 (December, 1999): 141-163.
Deeds, David L., Donna DeCarolis and Joseph Coombs, "Firm-Specific Resources and Wealth Creation in High-Technology Ventures: Evidence from Newly Public Biotechnology Firms," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 22:3 (1998): 55.
Deeds, David L. and G. Steven McMillan, "The Role of Reputation in the Recruitment of Scientists," R & D Management 28:4 (1998): 299-304.
Deeds, David L., Donna DeCarolis and Joseph Coombs, "The Impact of Firm Specific Capabilities on the Amount of Capital Raised in an Initial Public Offering: Evidence From the Biotechnology Industry," Journal of Business Venturing 12:1 (January, 1997): 31-46.
Deeds, David L., Donna DeCarolis and Joseph Coombs, "The Impact of Timing and Firm Capabilities on the Amount of Capital Raised in an Initial Public Offering: Evidence from the Biotechnology Industry," Academy of Management Proceedings 12:1 (1996): 97-100: 41-55.
Deeds, David L. and Charles W. L. Hill, "Strategic Alliances and the Rate of New Product Development: An Empirical Study of Entrepreneurial Biotechnology Firms," Journal of Business Venturing (January, 1996).
Deeds, David L. and Charles W. L. Hill, "The Importance of Industry Structure for the Determination of Firm Profitability: A Neo-Austrian Perspective," Journal of Management Studies 33,:4 (1996): 429-451.
Deeds, David L., Donna DeCarolis and Rajeswararao Chaganti, "Predictors of Capital Structure in Small Ventures," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 20:2 (Winter, 1995): 7-18.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- The 1996 Michael H. Mescon Best Empirical Paper Award from The Entrepreneurship Division Of The National Academy of Management.
- 1997 NASDAQ Fellow in Capital Formation. A three month fellowship studying capital formation for small and emerging business with The Senate Small Business Committee.
- 1998 Best Paper Award from Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice
- 2000 Fast Company Award for the Best Paper on High Growth Firms at The Toronto Academy of Management Meetings
- 2002 Swedish School of Entrepreneurship Research Fellow
- 2008 Haniel Fellowship at Humboldt University in Berlin
- 2010 Chair of The Entrepreneurship Interest Group of The Strategic Management Society
Editorial Board Member of The Journal of Business Venturing (1999 – 2005, 2009 – present)
Editorial Board Member of Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice (2000 – present)
Editorial Board Member of Journal of Management Studies (2007 – present)