Michael L. DeVaughn
Assistant Professor : Management Department
Send an email
B.A., economics, Brown University
M.B.A., marketing, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business
Ph.D., organization theory and strategy, University of Wisconsin-Madison, School of Business
- Organizational learning
- Contextual and environmental impediments to learning in firms
- Founding team decisions and performance implications in new (banking) firms
- Effects of prior shared experience in new venture founding teams
- Implications of outside consulting assistance on new firm performance
- Entrepreneurial founding team characteristics and new venture launch speed
- Contextual and environmental impediments to organizational learning
- DeVaugh, Michael and M. Leary, "Antecedents of Failure for Newly Chartered Banks in the U.S. Banking Industry," Group & Organization Management 35:5 (2010): 666-695.
- DeVaughn, Michael and M. Leary, "Entrepreneurial Team Characteristics that Influence the Successful Launch of a New Venture," Management Research Review 32:6 (2009): 567-579.
- DeVaughn, Michael and M. Leary, "Consultants to the Rescue? Antecedents and Consequences of Hiring Consultants at Startup." In Best Paper Proceedings of the Sixty-Sixth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (CD), ISSN 1543-8643, edited by George T. Solomon, 2007.
- DeVaughn, Michael, H. Fischer, J. Brown, J. Porac, J. Wade and A. Kanfer, "Mobilizing Knowledge in Interorganizational Alliances." In The Strategic Management of Intellectual Capital and Organizational Knowledge: A Collection of Readings, edited by N. Bontis and C. W. Choo, 523-535. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- DeVaughn, Michael, A. Miner, D. Eesley and T. Rura-Polley, "The Magic Beanstalk Vision: Commercializing University Inventions and Research." In The Entrepreneurship Dynamic: Origins of Entrepreneurship and the Evolution of Industries, edited by C. Schoonhoven and E. Romanelli, 109-146. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2001.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- Best Paper Award (Macro Category), Group & Organization Management Journal, 2011.
- Best Paper Award, Academy of Management, Management Consulting Division 2007. (Graziadio School of Business and Management/Pepperdine University Award for Outstanding Paper on the Practice of Management Consulting )
- Strategic Management Society, Entrepreneurship and Strategy Interest Group Junior Faculty Research Workshop competitive grant. (underwritten by the Kauffman Foundation), 2005.
- Finalist, INFORMS/Organization Science Best Dissertation Proposal Competition, 2001
- Vilas Fellowship for Doctoral Dissertation Research (University of Wisconsin Graduate School), 2001
- National Black MBA Scholarship (St. Louis Chapter)
- Consortium for Graduate Study in Management Fellowship